Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Archicad 26 Separate versions for Apple Silicon and Intel?

maberit
Participant

I have just downloaded ArchCAD 26 from the website for some pre-deployment testing. 

The Installer I have downloaded is called Archicad-26-UKI-3001-1.1-INTEL.dmg. Does this mean that there will be separate versions for Intel and Apple Silicon going forward? This would be really inconvenient from a deployment perspective. Our process is already too complicated with the installbuilder.sh --mode unattended  (which doesn't always work btw)and the additional scripts we run to add templates and add-ons with the right permissions etc etc etc...

I was under the impression that Graphisoft was working on a Universal Binary for Archicad but this would appear to indicate a fork in development? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it???

I know we can use Rosetta as a work around but Rosetta is a stopgap while Apple moves away from Intels chips and not a viable long term solution. I think I'm just looking for a bit of clarity from Graphisoft on the development path here.

Apologies if there's a thread already addressing this, I couldn't find it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein

The full release versions of Archicad 26 for Apple Silicone (ARM - M1/M2/etc) has begun with the INT version being released today.  See the release schedule in today's announcement:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/Archicad-26-Apple-silicon-version-available/...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Karl Ottenstein

It has been stated a dozen times in various topics here... there is no ARM version of 26 "yet", so there is no Universal binary.

A "Preview" version of 26 for ARM is supposed to be released within the next week or so according to the AC 26 announcement event.  The release version of 26 for Apple ARM is supposed to be available in the 4th quarter of the year.

EDIT/correction.  A Universal Binary release is not planned.  See:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-forum/Archicad-26-Separate-versions-for-Apple-Sili...

I would HOPE that the Preview version  (which is slightly better than a beta and most likely will be ARM-only) will be updated multiple times as any issues are reported to Graphisoft.  They have not given any public information on the process yet... but perhaps they will when the Preview is made available "soon".

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Boldizsar Vermes
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Karl said it right, Archicad 26 ARM Tech Preview has been released last week. Here you can download it and do the pre-deployment testing you mentioned: https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/Archicad-26-for-Apple-Silicon-Tech-Preview-l...

Graphisoft does not plan to release Universal Binaries because of, among others, the following reasons:

• A combined package would be almost double in size. Most of the users don't need both versions, they can download just the amount of data that they need for the installation.
  • Updates can be released separately to the Intel and ARM versions. This can mean faster response time for ARM specific issues.
  • In the case of a Universal Binary Archicad, all add-ons could be Universal Binaries too. All 3rd party add-on developers should release Universal Binaries, but we don't want to see a non-upgraded add-on just because of the lack of ability to create a Universal Binary installer.

Could you please tell us a bit more about the deployment conveniences you are or will be facing due to the lack of a Universal Binary Archicad? By learning about them, Graphisoft could have the opportunity to target your pains in the future.

Boldizsár Vermes
Product Manager, Collaboration

@Boldizsar Vermes wrote:

Graphisoft does not plan to release Universal Binaries because of, among others, the following reasons:

• A combined package would be almost double in size. Most of the users don't need both versions, they can download just the amount of data that they need for the installation.

Happy to see this, as my internet download speed is ridiculously slow at 7 mbps and a package over 3gb would be painfully slow to download.  (Somehow, I missed this post a few weeks ago when it was made.)

If updates are planned separately for Intel and ARM will that cause issues with BIMcloud files when one user is on a build of intel

and another is on a different build of arm?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

No more than if one user is Mac and another Windows?

Aren't all of the BIMCloud files cross-platform compatible?

I don't use BIMCloud, but I thought they were so long as everyone is using the same version (and possibly build?).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I think it’s build number that’s key and it reads as though the Intel and ARM versions may have different builds. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

If the build number is important, then I am sure when the real ARM version is released later this year, it will be the same build as the Mac (Intel) and Windows versions.

Remember the ARM version out at the moment is just a preview of the final release.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Good question, @Lee Hankins! Working on BIMcloud does not require the exact same build number of all the clients, there is a compatibility range. In the case of releasing separate updates for Intel and ARM versions, we will ensure releasing them withing this range.

Boldizsár Vermes
Product Manager, Collaboration

@Boldizsar Vermes That's great, thank you for the clarification.

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)