Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 8r3 ---> ArtLantis 4.5.3 - Faceted Artifacts

MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Has anyone else experienced this?

ArchiCAD 8r3 project exported to Artlantis 4.5.3.

in ArchiCAD, the model looks fine.

In ArtLantis, when shadow casting is turned on, all of these artifacts show up - they seem to be the edges of the polygons that define the face, but they cast shadows.

When I export this model into Piranesi, the 3D brushes react to these edges as though they are in a slightly different plane than the surface they are supposed to be defining - almost as though they are 'cut' into the surface.
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
6 REPLIES 6
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
MMontgomery wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this?

ArchiCAD 8r3 project exported to Artlantis 4.5.3.

in ArchiCAD, the model looks fine.

In ArtLantis, when shadow casting is turned on, all of these artifacts show up - they seem to be the edges of the polygons that define the face, but they cast shadows.

When I export this model into Piranesi, the 3D brushes react to these edges as though they are in a slightly different plane than the surface they are supposed to be defining - almost as though they are 'cut' into the surface.
I have had this problem before. It turned out that the model was too far away from 0,0 in ArchiCAD. I know it seems strange as the problem is in Art-Lantis, but the problem originates from ArchiCAD.

ArchiCAD has a problem dealing with elements that are placed too far away form 0,0..

Hope this helps..
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
That helped - thanks! I've run into that error before and fixed it by changing the origin, but the origin in previous scenes had been about 200,000 feet away from where the CAD files were imported - this scene scene was only 3,000 feet away - I hadn't considered the origin being an issue that close. I guess it is!

This project is one mile by one-half mile in size - kinda hard to find a good spot for the origin! I'll just place it right in the center...
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
MMontgomery wrote:
That helped - thanks! I've run into that error before and fixed it by changing the origin, but the origin in previous scenes had been about 200,000 feet away from where the CAD files were imported - this scene scene was only 3,000 feet away - I hadn't considered the origin being an issue that close. I guess it is!

This project is one mile by one-half mile in size - kinda hard to find a good spot for the origin! I'll just place it right in the center...
Yea I hear what you are saying. This is still a problem in ArchiCAD. I know that GS are working very hard on a fix so that ArchiCAD is able to handle elements/objects being placed a long way from the origin,
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
I too have a few problems with artlantis 4.5. It seems that whenever i save a modelled image in archicad (does not matter which version) to artlantis 4 or 4.5, the resulting image when opened in artlantis turns into a solid black mass.

Only after re-adjusting the lighting which can be extremely time consuming in artlantis, everything turns up fine. However, when i open the image in artlantis 3.5 everything is fine.

Why is this, dont understand.

Anyway, after all this frustation i have found myself going back to Lightscape.

P4 3.5ghz PNY Quadro 4 XGL 900 1 g Ram ArchiCAD 8
Karl Ottenstein
Binder wrote:
I too have a few problems with artlantis 4.5. It seems that whenever i save a modelled image in archicad (does not matter which version) to artlantis 4 or 4.5, the resulting image when opened in artlantis turns into a solid black mass.

Only after re-adjusting the lighting which can be extremely time consuming in artlantis, everything turns up fine. However, when i open the image in artlantis 3.5 everything is fine.
I've never had a black model go into Artlantis, but nearly so at times. There is a significant difference between Artlantis lights and ArchiCAD ones. I have not taken the time to figure out what parameters in AC cause the problem - whether it is the ambient light slider in model effects, the sun/ambient color in sun settings, or the intensity/color sliders of lamps. But, I have had lamps go into Artlantis with the light color as grey or even black ... at which point, as Dwight puts it, they suck light rather than emit it! (Hey, why is the word s-u-c-k censored?)

Make a very simple AC model - light and floor and find what light settings go into Artlantis as intended, and then model that way in the future. Regardless, you will have to readjust lights because the falloff characteristics/etc in Artlantis are different. Isn't that the case with Lightscape as well? (I have to change lights in C4D when coming from AC.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
Regardless, you will have to readjust lights because the falloff characteristics/etc in Artlantis are different. Isn't that the case with Lightscape as well?
You have to retweak all of them, of course, and assign properties. Plus, you have to take care when modeling, in order to get the least polygon count possible. I had a case (unfortunately I don't have Lightscape any more ... duh ...) where the radiosity solution took three days. OK, it was in 2000, with a rather slow machine, but nevertheless it was too long. A little cleanup and the time plummeted to 12 hours - quite acceptable.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen