BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 9 Vista 64 bit Install Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to install Archicad version 9 on a new computer (see specifications in signature below). I installed archicad without shell extensions and replaced java as directed per ArchicadWiki. Removed wibu drivers and installed 64 bit drivers fom Graphisoft site. Archicad will start in demo mode only with "Protection key not fond or not valid 1050017" message. It does seem to work normally when open in demo mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like you need some help directly from WIBU and/or GS. AC9 may be a bit old to install on Vista 64, but since it's running fine in demo I guess that's not the problem. Perhaps it's something to do with USB?

PS. Please do not double post.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I apologize for the multiple posts - new computer - I refreshed and I guess it reposted - nice first impression
Anonymous
Not applicable
Upon installing our new AC12, we had to go to a graphisoft link to update the WIBU key - seems like it updates a software inside the key ...without it, it would only run in demo mode ...this might be your issue if you have a AC12 key that has not been upgraded.

Hope this helps...

If any chance, could you (or anyone?) give step-by-step directives on how to install AC9.0 on Vista? Aka, what's the shell extension? How to do the other install/uninstall?

Aloha,

PB
Anonymous
Not applicable
To anyone who could help...

Graphisoft indicates to install without the shell extension, re-install Java and deal with the WIBU key as well. Since most of us are architects and not computer gurus (though we often become by default), we are looking for a step-by-step on how to do this? Can anyone help? Don't know what the "shell extension" is? How to perform this and other tasks?

....also, does anyone have any inputs on how this runs? The reason to do so is that we have multiple older projects that were created in AC9.0 that resurface from time to time and we need the option for obvious reasons. We even have one old AC6.5 on-going project that was too elaborate to upgrade to 9.0 ...seems like we'll have to spend considerable amount of time to upgarde it to AC12.0 .....it's very annoying how each new version of AC creates such issues with projects created in previous versions each time, but I guess I'm preaching to the choir!?......

Mahalo,

PB
Karl Ottenstein
Patsurf wrote:
To anyone who could help...

Graphisoft indicates to install without the shell extension, re-install Java and deal with the WIBU key as well. Since most of us are architects and not computer gurus (though we often become by default), we are looking for a step-by-step on how to do this? Can anyone help? Don't know what the "shell extension" is? How to perform this and other tasks?
(I've merged your thread into this otherwise identical one.)

They do give the short steps here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows%20Vista

But, to flesh that out:

1. Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Java

2. If necessary, uninstall AC 9 again

3. Install AC 9 - but as the Wiki article says, do not accept the normal installation - click on Custom Installation: you will then get a list with checkboxes for components to install. Clear the checkbox for the shell extension.

4. Back to Control Panel > Add/Remove: uninstall the WIBU software that was just installed by 9.

5. Re-install WIBU 5.20 / 5.21 (current today) or whatever the current version is. You may download this from:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/WIBU.html

That should do it. Note the other issues in the Wiki article concerning running 9 under Vista.

I continue to advise everyone to avoid Vista and remain on XP not just for compatibility, but because Vista is a resource hog. Better yet, switch to a Mac. 😉

Seriously, though, if you have too many issues with Vista and early versions of ArchiCAD and other software written years before Vista was a twinkle in Redmond's twisted eyes, you can run some type of virtualization software on your Vista machine to run XP in a virtual machine and run AC 9 (etc) there. Microsoft, I believe, makes Virtual PC available free to Vista owners for that purpose. There is also Parallels Workstation from parallels.com the same company that does Parallels Desktop for Mac, which lets us Mac-folk run Windows as required.

Good luck,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, Virtual PC 2007 is still a free download for Vista users who have apps that require an older OS to run properly:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/overview.mspx

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Had done a quick search but had not found ....thank you for the post and the quick reply! ...did a little bit of investitgating on the virtual PC ...of course, the laptop I purchased for road trips has Vista Home ...which does not appear to be covered for the virtual PC ...will probably require further investigating.

Thanks again for the pointer and rapid reply!

Aloha,
Learn and get certified!