Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad IFC Model Exchange for Revit 2020 + Windows 11 ARM Parallels M1 Chip Mac

Susan B
Participant

Hello,

I'm attempting to install the Revit 2020 IFC model exchange on a new M1 laptop running the latest windows 11, and I am getting an error that says

"IFC Model Exchange with Archicad for Revit 2020 Installer detected that the operating system on this computer is out-of-date. Installation could not start. Please install the latest updates and try again. The application will exit now."

I am running the installer as an administrator, I have disabled all firewalls and virus scanners/busters, and have updated and upgraded all windows-related options, and am still getting this error. It is a licensed version of Revit, Archicad, and Windows.

Is this a known issue, or is there another way to install this that might be possible?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 10.33.45 AM.pngPNG image.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-09 at 10.35.12 AM.png
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

The IFC Model Exchange with Archicad for Revit 2020 Installer was created about 2-3 years ago (Revit 2020 was released in April 2019). At that time there was no Windows 11, there was no Apple M1 processor. So there is no way the installer could be ready to run on such a system configuration, probably this is why it gives you this error message. 

The only think you may try is download the latest version from here:

https://graphisoft.com/downloads/interoperability

But the last time it was modified was  Jan. 20, 2020, so it may behave the same way (or you may be actually using the latest version). Besides that I don't think you can do anything about that.

Archicad is not compatible with Apple M1 processors yet. Hopefully, it will be soon.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein

Also... Windows 11 ARM-version, which is the only version you could be running on your M1 (Intel Windows 11 will not run) - cannot run arbitrary Intel Windows code AFAIK.   I'm surprised you say you have a licensed version of Windows 11 ARM... to my knowledge, Microsoft has not authorized use of the ARM version on other hardware.   Lots of us are interested in how to get a legal version of Win 11 ARM... so please do share how you got it 🙂

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Just learned something new since I last checked on ARM Windows... According to this Tom's Guide article from November 2021, Microsoft added x86 emulation to Windows 11 ARM, so that it can run most Intel software... but still cannot run any Intel-based drivers.  So, I guess that the issue you've run into is that, as Laszlo said, the Revit code is old enough that its checks for OS etc are blocking the install.

(It's encouraging that Microsoft has added an x86 emulator, just as Apple added Rosetta 2 for the M1 family to be able to run Intel code while developers migrate to the new platforms over time.)

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows-11-just-got-a-killer-feature-at-the-expense-of-windows-10

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.5, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB