Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad compatibility with Windows 11

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Microsoft released the new Windows 11 21H2 today, on 5th October 2021. Please note that for the time being, both Windows 10 and Windows 11 will be supported and receive future security updates.

GRAPHISOFT had been testing Windows 11 beta and is continuously testing the final released version. We have found Windows 11 to be compatible with our current products. 

Any known issues found so far and to be found in the future will be published under the Known Issues section published in our Community article along with the list of supported/compatible versions

Feel free to share your feedback and questions here!

Best regards,

Minh Nguyen

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

5 REPLIES 5
Narrativa_architect
Participant

Since we upgraded some of our workstations to Windows 11, we experience trouble with Archicad. The program sometimes terminates without any reason during work. When restarting Archicad the program gives a warning that OpenGL is not found on this machine. Only rebooting Windows 11 lets restart Archicad properly.

Is this problem known by more users? And is there a way to fix this? I needed i would like to provide logs or other information.

Hi @Narrativa_architect,

Myself, I'm working on Windows 11 for a couple of months now, but I couldn't experience such a thing luckily.

Have you contacted your local support representative already? 

If no, I suggest to contact them, so you can go through the necessary checks and processes, so Graphisoft can take a look on your issue. I also recommend the same for any other user experiencing the same.

Thank you,
Noémi

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Quick question (to either of you, if you can answer it)....

Now that Windows 11 has unofficially entered the Android App compatibility open beta testing phase, has anyone at Graphisoft been able to test whether the BIMx or BIMx Pro apps from the Android store are able to work through this mode in Windows now?

It would (ironically) solve one of Graphisoft's most requested features (for a Windows platform BIMx mode or app that can be run from Windows before uploading the BIMx model to either cloud or an Android device to see how it actually runs in the BIMx environment - and NOT through the current BIMx Desktop which has entirely different functionality and feel).

It would obviously also eliminate the need for the development of any BIMx for Microsoft Surface tablets (running Windows 11, obviously) since then you could just run it natively as an Android App on the Windows platform.

I'd be curious to hear from you guys about this.

I personally haven't upgraded to Windows 11 yet, but this was one of the feature developments that had piqued my interested and that would get me to make the jump (aside from absence of any other compatibility-related bugs, of course)

Hi @Bricklyne Clarence 

Thank you for the question!

At the moment, Microsoft only allows apps installed through Amazon App Store, which is very limited. There are ways to sideload external APKs, but this is not a supported workflow.

I tried Android apps through the Amazon App store, but I would say the experience is not yet optimized. Nevertheless, we do consider this possibility in the future.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if you have tried the latest BIMx Desktop Viewer yet? It has almost the same functionality as the web-based version and the mobile app, so there's no need to export it to the Transfer site or to mobile devices to view the BIMx file. I highly recommend checking it out!

I hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask if you need any further information!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Oh wow!

You're right.

I didn't even realize that the Desktop viewr had been updated to match the tablet/smartphone  version in both feel and functionality.

I guess that takes care of that then.

You guys should probably publicize it more as most people probably still think that the Desktop Viewer refers to the legacy version which for most intents and purposes was mostly useless for what it was supposed to be intended to do.

I'd be curious to see or know how it functions on a Microsoft Surface, and whether it would run as a typical BIMx (Android or iOS version) app on those Windows based tablets (which are powerful enough to handle the full version of Archicad)

Thanks for the quick response.