Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad essential files

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
What kind of file formats produced by Archicad should be backed up on the server? I also need to prune the directory and don't know whether these files fith extensions .LAY, G&M, etc are.

Can somebody tell me what files should be stored on the server and which ones can be deleted or stored on my own workstation. Also will there be anything bad resulting from this ?

Regards,
3 REPLIES 3
Djordje
Ace
Rhino wrote:
What kind of file formats produced by Archicad should be backed up on the server? I also need to prune the directory and don't know whether these files fith extensions .LAY, G&M, etc are.
Are you using ArchiCAD yourself?

LAY is the PlotMaker Layout - the thing that you print.

GS& you can safely remove, that is compiled GDL, and it will be recompiled next time you use that object.

What is your folder structure in project folders? Do you have one?
Rhino wrote:
Can somebody tell me what files should be stored on the server and which ones can be deleted or stored on my own workstation. Also will there be anything bad resulting from this ?
Well, what you should back up depends on your file management system, and what you use in your project, but in general:

- PLNs (your project files) that should be saved as PLAs (archives) for further use
- All PMKs used
- All LAYs that are relevant
- Project specific library
- Movies, renderings, VRs and such stuff
- Art•Lantis files if any
- etc ...

BTW, which ArchiCAD? The 8.x versions have some more relevant file formats.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
NO, I am not an Archicad user but am concerned on the amount of space these files are consuming. I should like to know what files I should take off, eg: what are DB files. Help!

thanx,
Djordje
Ace
Rhino wrote:
NO, I am not an Archicad user but am concerned on the amount of space these files are consuming. I should like to know what files I should take off, eg: what are DB files. Help!
DB files are Art•Lantis models saved from ArchiCAD.

The Graphisoft online help lists also all kinds of files that ArchiCAD has/creates; check the main Graphisoft page, the link is there.

ArchiCAD is highest level professional software, and it is normal that its files are not small, considering the amount of data generated. The equipment should also be appropriate, and the file management has to be in place.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen