Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad freezes everyday

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a computer in our office that uses Archicad it freezes everyday unexpectantly. It is a new Intel Mac 2.33ghz, 2GB Ram, ATI Radeon 256MB video card

The mouse still moves but everything else freezes. Nothing can be closed..clicked...nothing. We are forced to reboot each time. At time of freeze the activity monitor shows RAM used at 1.14GB with 877.67MB free. Even though everything in my gut points to a resource issue the numbers show it may not be.

Is there something in the background running in Archicad that is causing the freeze?

Please help!
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you switch to other programs? Is it just ArchiCAD that is frozen?

I haven't seen anything like you describe since having RAM problems on a G4 years ago. (Did you install cheap third party RAM?)
Anonymous
Not applicable
All RAM is original factory installed from Apple. Only had system for 3months. Archicad freezes the entire computer. Working in the 3D rotation window most of the time this is when it happens.

From what i understand 3D rotation works of off the video card. Are there any settings that can be made to make it work smoother? Advise.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like a trip to the genius bar may be in order. This kind of thing can be brutal to figure out on your own and the machine is still under warrantee.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never had archicad freeze my entire machine, but I did have a particular project file that would freeze AC everytime I tried to edit it. Is this just happening with one particular file, or does it happen everytime you run AC? I got around my problem by creating a new file and copying and pasting the elements from the bad file to the new one. If you're crashes are coming from the same file/template.. might be worth a shot.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
techhdg wrote:
The mouse still moves but everything else freezes. Nothing can be closed..clicked...nothing. We are forced to reboot each time. At time of freeze the activity monitor shows RAM used at 1.14GB with 877.67MB free. Even though everything in my gut points to a resource issue the numbers show it may not be.
The most likely reason is RAM failure. Even RAM from good sources can have faults, and a complete lockup is usually the result.

OS X shouldn't freeze like this even if the open applications wanted more RAM than you have available. Try swapping the RAM out (if you can) and see if the problem goes away. I had this recently with a 4 year old G4 Powerbook. I suddenly began to freeze after about 15-20 minutes of use. I had two memory slots filled, so I tried taking them out in turns. Naturally the largest capacity chip was to blame
Ralph Wessel BArch