BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Asking about "Library Path Too Long"

Nader Belal
Mentor
Hi there,

It's well known fact that path and file name on Windows OS must not exceed 260 characters just as mentioned in this https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/64881/

But when I have applied this method to extend Windows limit (as mentioned in https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/), ArchiCAD was still unable to load the the desired library.

Do you have a method (other than the one mentioned in the Help Center) to overcome this limitation in ArchiCAD ??
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Moonlight :

I have the same issue . just wrote to you on my live thread of yesterday.
I am on Windows 7 - same problem. ?? Dont understand the issue - i even tried saving the folder to be added on my desktop so with a very short path....still didn't work.

Tried the library file in lots on different locations to avoid long paths - no luck. weird and very annoying...

Any help appreciated..
siad
Barry Kelly
The actual path to the library itself may be short, but what is the length of the paths inside the library like?
Maybe they are to long?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Nader Belal
Mentor
@Barry Kelly
doesn't reach the 210 characters mark including extension.
May be a little bit more for NAS that have been imaged as a drive.

But If I found the way to make Windows superpass the 260 character path safely, why ArchiCAD can't accept this !!??
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Moonlight,
Windows 10 might be able to deal with more than 260 characters in a file path but most version of windows server cannot.
Scott
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!