Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Autosave explanation please...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would someone wiser than I please explain in what circumstances ArchiCAD will prompt you to open from an autosave file and when it wont?

My machine, for what ever reason claimed that I did not have enough memory to continue to have Archicad running and so it therefore closed the program.
(Seperate problem to investigate, refer to signature for machine spec, one instance of archicad running and very little else - no idea how I could possibly be out of memory).

I appreciate that it is possible to open @global.t files manually etc, but fulling expecting to be prompted to use an auto-save I reopened the teamwork file only to find I have lost about 30 minutes work. Then checking the auto-save folder... empty. Assuming that by reopening the teamwork project the previous auto-save was overwritten?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I can't say how Teamwork affects autosave (as I don't use it) but I assume there is no difference.

Archicad will only autosave if it crashes and shuts down by itself with no warning messages or if there is a power failure.
This is assuming that you have the autosave feature turned on in your work environment (which it should be by default).

In your case you got a warning message.
Did it prompt you to save or not?
If you said not to save (because you didn't want to save the error) then the autosave file will be deleted as well as the program shut down without saving.
If it didn't prompt you to save or not then I don't know why there wouldn't be an autosave file left behind.

Check your settings in the work environment.
AC16 now has the option to continually update the autosave file but it can also be set to save after a certain amount of ammendments or after a certain amount of time - or it can be turned off altogether.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry, thanks for the reply.

I am fairly sure that the message was generated by windows and not archiCAD. I wasn't prompted to save, but did have the option to 'cancel' (which I pressed) when I was told it would be shutting down the software.

Our auto-save is set to run after every step (ultra safe). So in theory in the event of a proper crash, or power cut, we should loose virtually nothing (and this has worked a treat in the past I must say).

This morning before opening any projects I have checked the contents of the auto-save folders on both by teamwork projects (the local autosave folders) and they are both empty? Could it be I am looking in the wrong place for the auto-saves I wonder?

C:\Users\[username]\Graphisoft\TW Data\AC-16.0.0\[project name]\Autosave

?
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Dan,

the location of your AutoSave file can be checked and changed in the Work Environment/ Data Safety & Integrity dialog box.

Crashing or ending the process from the Task Manager will generate an autosave. This Autosave file will be stored until you start ArchiCAD again and choose to delete or open it in the appearing Project Recovery dialog. After that, you will not be able to access it any more, so it should be saved. Some tips to avoid data loss: http://www.archicadwiki.com/FileDamageOrCorruption

It is also worth to check out the "Backup Teamwork Project" description and the steps of restoring project data using backups in ArchiCAD Help.

Let me know, if there is anything more I can help.
Katalin Takacs
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just had one of those crashes, with more than one session of Archicad open. On re-opening, there was no recovery option.

Tried closing the other session - same result.

Wouldn't it be possible to have an option in the 'Open' menu, to open the autosaved drawing? Then you could select this option if the crash-recovery doesn't kick in automatically.