Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Autosave in v12-mactel

Eduardo Bell
Contributor
Is there any way to retrieve an autosave file once the Autosave Prompt Window has been closed?
I worked all day in a file, didn't save at all, the file crashed and every time I tried to re-open it via the autosave window prompt it would just spin there going nowhere, after restarting a AC12 a few times, I finally bypassed the window to find the latest saved version is from yesterday 😞
Thanks
Ed
v4.55 to v27-b4030 MacBookPro 8-Core Intel i9 16GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB vram OS Monterey v 12.7.1
6 REPLIES 6
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It was just discussed here.

The process is quite simple. The autosave will act according to the Data Safety settings in your Work Environment. Basically, it will save a file called @Global.T to the path listed in the Autosave Folder Location, set in the above dialog. As long as Autosave is On, it will save to this location as per the time or number of steps selected. If you have Suspend Autosave enabled, AC will wait until there is no activity for the amount of time set. When it autosaves you will see a small bulldozer appear in your Status Bar. It will countdown the Suspend time, then save.

AC will go through this process for every instance of ArchiCAD you have open, however it will create a new Autosave Folder for each instance appending numbers to their names (eg. -1, -2, -3 etc).

If you quit out of ArchiCAD normally, these folders and their contents will automatically be deleted upon exit. However, if you crash, (either accidentally or on purpose), AC will look for Autosave Folder(s) and ask if you would like open the selected projects and/or delete them. (This delete option can be confusing for people who don't understand the process. Ignore would probably be a better option).

At any point (while you are in AC at least), you can go to the Autosave Folder, copy the @Global.T and rename it to whatever.pln and it will be exactly the same file you were working on up to the last time it autosaved. That is, the last time you saw the bulldozer!

Cheers,
Link.
Eduardo Bell
Contributor
Hey thanks for the info.
However I tried it and it gives me an error loading the 'module file'...
Also my problem is that when this file crashes and I try to reopen the auto save file it just gets stalled during the opening process...
Im' getting 3/4 crashes per day while performing a variety of operations such as, space clicking on a mesh to create new holes, changing the background picture in the photo rendering window, placing an object etc..

The file is a part of a large shopping center, it has two other large parts of the center placed as hotlinked modules, these are most of the time with their master layer off (during crashes). I've opened these files and saved them as v12 files before relinking them.
This project was started in v10 and I had skipped v11 to avoid precisely this types of problems, seems like v12 is not cooperating very much.
Ed
v4.55 to v27-b4030 MacBookPro 8-Core Intel i9 16GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB vram OS Monterey v 12.7.1
hampden
Booster
i'm having a very similar issue at our office with AC mactel v12 and wondering how wide spread it is - are other folks having autosave problems with past projects/templates?

all of our old projects, including office template files which we've been updating from past versions of AC, are unable to recover from a crash. the scnario goes like this:

when we get a crash the autosave is unable to recover after AC is restarted (autosave file is recognize and it prompts us to recover it, however after it works for a while on opening the file it just beach balls until you force a quit. i've gone through and tried to isolate the item which is causing it in our template (sequentially deleting items from the template and then forcing a quit), only to find it appears to be more than one item in the file causing the problem ... i've contacted GS and sent sample files which cause the problem, but have not gotten any fix. the two v12 hotfixes to date have not fixed it.

eduardo, the one piece of info which might be helpful to you that i've found, is that you can start a new file, and then do a merge with the @global.T file (after moving it out of the temp folder and renaming it with a .pln extension.) this is messy as you lose all of the layouts associated with the file, but can be helpful if you were working on a particular detail or view which can be readily pasted back into the last saved version of the project.

i'm not sure what to do, did anyone have this type of issue and find a workaround? on one hand i don't want to start new projects off of our office template for fear there is some type of corruption in our template. on the other hand i can't really abandon years of work on our office standards. i've tried doing a new and reset, and rebuilding our standards by copying and pasting chunks back in, but still ended up with the same issue.

any thoughts, suggestions, workarounds, or commiseration would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
stefan
Stefan Hampden
CAST architecture - Seattle architect
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can also confirm that the Autosave feature seams to have a bug. I thought it might be due to us using ArchiCAD Master Template and there being something in their database that AutoSave was not liking. But it sounds like you both are having problems with AutoSave. I assume you are not using Master Template.

For me, When I restart a crashed archicad and try to open the Autosave file, I get about 3/4 of the way through the blue loading bar, and then ArchiCAD just spins the beach ball forever until I force quit. I tried the renaming and opening but had the same problem. I did not try the Merge method suggested by Hampden, but will keep it in mind for future rescues.

I am especially unnerved as we are working on several teamwork projects that are further complicated when crashes happen and others experience this problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that there is no reply to this thread and wondered if any had come up with a satisfactory solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem now. I had it happen 2 times while using CADImage tools, design suite. I do have the ArchiCAD Master Template as well. Just checking...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kurt,

If you have the legends loaded for MasterTemplate, you will have a problem with opening an Autosaved project. The issues is with the skylights in the default tools legend. Open your legends file and delete all skylights fromt he file. Save and that should solve the problem.

Skylights have always been wired in ArchiCAD and this another example of how bad they are. GS should really redo the whole concept.

I hope that helps.