Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ballooning File size in AC 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I started with a file of approx 6 MB in size. After 2 days of editing (adding some walls and roofs) I was surprised to find my file had ballooned to 148 MB! Today, I deleted a lot of stuff in the drawing, including an entire 20,000 sf duplicate model of the project and my file is now 170 MB! What is causing this? and is there any fix?
I have a deadline and can barely work on the drawing it has become so bogged down.

I am using Mac OSX with the latest update in place.
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
HEllo,

I think we had this problem recently, you could try the following:

Go to: Options>preferences>2d redraw options and un-tick the 'save navigator preview data with project files'

Roolio
Anonymous
Not applicable
Roolio wrote:
Go to: Options>preferences>2d redraw options and un-tick the 'save navigator preview data with project files'
That will almost certainly resolve your problem

woodster
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, but I had seen that earlier in other posts and I keep that option always unticked. I also saw that copy/pasting into a new document might work, but the thought of doing that and losing all my quickviews really depresses me.... a lot. Is there another way?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since my last post, I have copy and pasted everything to a new document. It's down to a svelte 10 MB, now. So, Is there any way to export the quickviews or layer settings?
__archiben
Booster
what version of archiCAD?

are there corner windows in there? do you have the IFC add-on active?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Erika Epstein
Booster
~/archiben wrote:
what version of archiCAD?

are there corner windows in there?

~/archiben
Interesting. Is using corner windows known to swell file sizes? I was trying to figure out what is making a file quadruple or more; there are many items we recently added that made it seem plausible to me, but we do have about 12 corner windows.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
__archiben
Booster
Erika wrote:
Interesting. Is using corner windows known to swell file sizes? I was trying to figure out what is making a file quadruple or more; there are many items we recently added that made it seem plausible to me, but we do have about 12 corner windows.
there was an old bug that i understood got fixed with corner window duplification in the database - particularly with teamwork files where every send and receive would double the number of those corner windows. i seem to recall it being a conflict with the IFC add-on, but can't be sure.

anyway, as i said, i thought it got fixed. it was just a shot in the dark after hearing that 'save navigator preview data' was not to blame in this case . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Version 8.1 v2 (2284)

I've had the balooning problem one other time and don't remember how I resolved it aside from not using any 3D hatching. On elevations and sections, I ended up laying a 2d hatching over the drawings which also made them render MUCH faster.
Anonymous
Not applicable
AARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! After spending my day redoing all my quickviews and actually editing down the number of elements in the drawing, it ballooned back up to 70 MB when I looked at it at the end of the day.

Vectorworks is looking better and better.