Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Best PC Today for Mid-Size Firm - Processor, Video Card, Ram

Anonymous
Not applicable
Starting with 4 new PCs right away, we need to replace about 60 workstations in May. I would appreciate recommendations for optimum configuration: processor speed, video card size, how much ram. (Macs have been eliminated as an option so please, no further comments.)

I know virtually nothing about PCs, but our IT Manager would like to know what's best for ArchiCAD 10/11; maybe one with enough ram for Cinema 4D & Maxwell Render.

What's hot on the market? What are you buying? What's coming out in the next few months?

Thanks,
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Why such a small Hard Drive?...
I would understand it in case of a notebook, but with a desktop, 300-500 GB would be much more appropriate.
I guess it depends if you are keeping data files on your local drives or not. We do not. The only information kept on the locals are programs so their is no need for lots of space, better to redirect the money elsewhere.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The bids are in for virtually identical configurations:
One 16x SuperDrive
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Apple Keyboard+ Mighty Mouse or Dell Keyboard+Mouse
4GB (4 x 1GB)
Mac OS X or Windows XP Pro
250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
Applecare vs Dell 2-yr, next day parts/labor onsite

Dell: $4,500
Apple: $5,200

The difference is too much for more than a few, oh well. It will be great to just have this setup, regardless of the OS.
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You have forgotten to consider the design part of the equation. But then I guess BAR is a firm that does 'Dell' style buildings? Oh well! I find this is actually what our clients value - good design!! Not just good value! I presume the partners there drive Hyundais?

If I worked there, I would gladly pay the $700 difference out of pocket for a MacPro. I am finding at Altius, we cheaped out at first too, but for client presentations, we are using the macs.

😉
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
TomWaltz
Participant
You can save about $400 per machine if you buy your RAM from RamJet instead of Apple.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
andyro wrote:
You have forgotten to consider the design part of the equation.
😉
Excuse me, Andy, but did we not have the opposite conversation when YOU were on the lone PC at JWA? Quality of design has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do with the software and the designer. (And no Hyundais here.)

My customized work environment looks & works just like my mac. My (2) 20" dell flat screens are the only visible difference, not as easy on the eyes as my (2) 20" cinema displays.

Besides, we only bought 4; 56 more to replace. And likely, there will be a few macbooks. I haven't given up, just glad to have my new quadcore.

Mabe
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Mabe wrote:
Excuse me, Andy, but did we not have the opposite conversation when YOU were on the lone PC at JWA?

Oooohhh! Below the belt!
You need to remember, we were using AC8.1 on the old swivelly iMacs with 512MB Ram, when I came onboard at JWA. That was a hardware disaster.

Since the Mactels, I am a reborn machead!
Director
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I could jump in here too....

I've been complaining to our IT Dept and managers about our computers (Dell). I was told to get a list together of what we would prefer to run on. I'm the opposite of a fan of Macs, but I know that they are generally superior to PC's when it comes to graphics work. Since ArchiCAD IS graphics, perhaps its time for me to consider it too.

So - what was the final decision then? As described below? I'm thinking $5,200 may be on the high side, but there are only 2 of us that need them. My managers seem to be open to suggestions and trials runs so if I could even get one in here just for me to try ....

And are you happy with it?
Andy Thomson
Advisor
Whatever you decide to go with, stay away from Vista. They dumped OpenGL as you might already know. I would also add that for an IT manager, OSX is considerably less buggy and prone to worms etc. Very good when paired with Xserve also... at one comapny I worked for, this was the primary reason for the choice of macs, less IT overhead (by about 50%) We are considering getting 2 more iMacs, 24", much less than $5000 and does everything we need them to do.
Director
Anonymous
Not applicable
sirduncan wrote:

So - what was the final decision then? As described below? I'm thinking $5,200 may be on the high side, but there are only 2 of us that need them. My managers seem to be open to suggestions and trials runs so if I could even get one in here just for me to try ....

And are you happy with it?
We bought 4 Dells (the remaining 56 may include some macs) to test them on my project. 4gb ram is adequate for probably most projects, but I'm already feeling the need for more for my current project. We are monitoring performance, especially the video card, which at $1,500 is a pricey, but very important component. Check Graphisoft's list of tested video cards. Our IT Manager researched all components and put together the final setup. Lots of minor issues entered into the decision such as no Apple support if running XP, etc. Both Apple and Dell offered trial boxes; talk to your reps.

Happy is relative. Ecstatic after struggling with my old Dell slug; saddened not to have a mac.

Mabe
TomWaltz
Participant
Call me crazy. but I cannot imagine Archicad would really benefit from a $1500 video card. I really hope that there was something else that caused you to buy that.... like maybe World of Warcraft parties after work/
Tom Waltz