Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Big Sur for Archicad?

Kans
Participant
Is any problem with Big Sur?
I plan to upgrade to Big Sur tomorrow.
AC24, iMac 2020,Intel Core i9 3,6GHz 10-Core
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
15 REPLIES 15
rm
Expert
mnguyen wrote:
rm wrote:
To add insult to injury, I have a "non critical" iMac that I installed Big Sur on. I have noticed it seems to be "snappier" at everything from accessing my network to loading web pages.

I decided to open a current AC24 project on that same machine, a project that works fine on a machine running Catalina. I was astonished upon launching the project on the iMac running Big Sur, how much of the model was missing. Im not talking about speciality library parts. Im talking about walls and roofs. This was very disappointing and tells me GS has done a terrible job preparing AC24 for Big Sur, if they have at all.

Big Sur has been in developer hands for months, there is no excuse for this bad of an implementation from GS.

Yet they only want to support AC for 2 versions back, not acceptable from perspective.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 11.26.51 AM.jpg
Dear Robert,

Thank you very much for your report and I am very sorry about the issue!

We were and still are doing intensive tests with the new macOS. This is something that we have never seen before. I'm wondering if you are willing to share with us the project in PLA format? It's definitely worth taking a closer look. Please let me know if you need a secure link to upload the file also.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh -

Thanks for the quick reply. Forward a link and I can send you a .pla copy of the file.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
rm wrote:

Minh -

Thanks for the quick reply. Forward a link and I can send you a .pla copy of the file.
Hi Robert,

I sent you the link via Private Message. Please let me know once the process is finished.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
mnguyen wrote:
rm wrote:

Minh -

Hi Robert,

I sent you the link via Private Message. Please let me know once the process is finished.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh
Hello Minh -

Requested files are now uploaded to the provided link.

Thank you!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for the file!

As we discussed, we were unable to replicate the issue in-house with macOS Big Sur. I'm looking forward to hearing from you about how to achieve a similar result with the model you shared. Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rm
Expert
rm wrote:
To add insult to injury, I have a "non critical" iMac that I installed Big Sur on. I have noticed it seems to be "snappier" at everything from accessing my network to loading web pages.

I decided to open a current AC24 project on that same machine, a project that works fine on a machine running Catalina. I was astonished upon launching the project on the iMac running Big Sur, how much of the model was missing. Im not talking about speciality library parts. Im talking about walls and roofs. This was very disappointing and tells me GS has done a terrible job preparing AC24 for Big Sur, if they have at all.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 11.26.51 AM.jpg
This problem was not a GS problem, this was my error. Our default is to have the marquee tool set to mult-story selection. When we installed Big Sur and reinstalled AC24, the marque tool defaulted to single story selection and I didn't catch that.

Minh was super helpful in chasing this issue down, my thanks to him!

Looking forward to hearing from GS when they feel it is "safe" to start and or transition projects on the Mac with Big Sur.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Kans
Participant
In my case till now AC works fine with Big Sur.
As I mentioned the dark mode looks much better.
The dark mode from AC was terrible. But now the dark mode is improved through Apple side I think.
AC24, iMac 2020,Intel Core i9 3,6GHz 10-Core
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB