Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Bringing in settings and parts from another project?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Everyone,

What are some of the ways to bring in doors, windows, schedules and other settings from several other projects? I have in mind two or three doors from one project and another window I created using Door & Window Builder plus some walls and keynote symbols from yet another project! I was thinking about creating a "boiler plate" of stuff and making a base template file with all of this on a story named "Favorites".. any ideas? How do you do it?

+pablo

BTW, I do have STS 8.1.. but haven't played with it much.
3 REPLIES 3
TomWaltz
Participant
Pablo wrote:
Hey Everyone,

What are some of the ways to bring in doors, windows, schedules and other settings from several other projects? I have in mind two or three doors from one project and another window I created using Door & Window Builder plus some walls and keynote symbols from yet another project! I was thinking about creating a "boiler plate" of stuff and making a base template file with all of this on a story named "Favorites".. any ideas? How do you do it?

+pablo

BTW, I do have STS 8.1.. but haven't played with it much.
Ideally, all your projects are reading from a central office library that has all your custom parts in it. If that's the case, you can Copy/Paste between files.

I've created a Module that is loaded into all projects and kept on a ghost story in the template. Any time a new object is added to the module, it shows up for use in every project in the office for use.

I posted a screen shot of it a while back, but will leave the investigation up to you 😉
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course you can also use ArchiCAD "Favorites Palette" to store settings for objects and other tools. These can then be saved as a file and then loaded into any other file.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office uses what we call a "dupe" (as in duplicate) file that we drag a copy of into our new client folders. It has all kinds of previously used doors, windows, parts, composites (slabs, roofs, walls) all layed out for us to easily option-click on and get the new project off to a fast start. I've found that a lot of time is wasted messing around in dialog boxes (plus it's really boring). I love Tom's module idea. That's really cool.

Also, don't be afraid to use the attributes manager for all those fills, linetypes, composites, etc. that you may have spent a lot of time creating in one project and want to use in another. It's easy to use and another real time saver.
Learn and get certified!