Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CRASH NORMALITY

Polar Bear
Booster

Hello,

Is it normal that on any given working day of working on Archicad, the software craches at least twice.  Today i just lost 4 hours of work.  Do i charge it to the client saying the software craches and made me lost stuff?

Thanks!

Archicad 25 - 5010
Macbook pro 13" /Big sur 11.4 + External 4K 27"
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein

This isn't normal.  What version of MacOS are you running (exact version... 11.6?  12.4?) and what version and build of Archicad?  Your signature says 24.  If 24, it should be build 7006.  If 25, it should be build 5010.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly

@Polar Bear wrote:

Today i just lost 4 hours of work. 

Do you not get an auto-saved recovery file option show when you restart Archicad?

By 'crash' I assume you get a bug report show up?

If so, take note of the number, send the report and follow up with your local Archicad support, quoting that bug number.

They may be able to tell you why it is happening.

If you don't get the bug reporter, and Archicad is just freezing, force close the program (and close any other running Archicads) and then restart Archicad.

You should get the auto-saved recovery file - unless you have disabled that option in your Work Environment.

And save more often than every 4 hours and you can't lose that much work.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Ctrl s or cmd s just make it routine. Drafting or computer 101. Don't trust the computer lol

Polar Bear
Booster

Hello,

The version is 25.

Saving often yes, but then, as i understand, undo is reset every time we save? (my note taking light app has infinite undo capacity !!!:-/). over the year, we slowly gave up that reflex of saving often, need to get back to it i suppose.  But what about undo!?  How do people manage not being able to undo?  So many functions aren't included in undo (when going back to Revit based  projects, it's always a relief to be able to undo everything!)

Usually, the recovery file works, this time, it didn't.  Anyway, it has become normal for me to lose an hour or so a day due to crash.  The effort to pay for a start up software usage...

Thanks for your support!  Keep it alive!

p

Archicad 25 - 5010

@Polar Bear wrote:

But what about undo!?  How do people manage not being able to undo?

My philosophy on undo ...

It is only good if it is the last few commands you want to undo.

They have to be undone in the reverse order that you have made them.

You can't model some walls, move a slab, add some text and then undo the walls.

If you undo back to the walls, you have to move the slab again and add the text back (sometimes copy & paste can help to re-do steps you have to undo that you don't really want to undo).

But generally, when I am happy with what I have done, I will 'Save'.

If I think I will want to go back to an earlier version because I am just fiddling with the design, I will 'Save As' with a new name.

When I am happy I no longer need the older versions, I will delete them.

Also some other actions in Archicad will clear the undo queue - re-building in an elevation for example.

So I wouldn't really let the ability to undo stop me from saving.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Polar Bear
Booster

The undo limit is always surprising (and at time frustrating).  Even small app such as evernote have unlimited undo capacity...  And despite, the Archicad file sizes are huge huge (compare with rvt) and keep running slow (on macbook pro...

Archicad 25 - 5010

@Polar Bear wrote:

Hello,

The version is 25.

I hate to repeat the request (and this is for everyone posting an issue on the Community)... but the version alone is not helpful when talking about crashes.  The exact build that you have, and the exact release of your OS are essential to know.  It is important that you install all updates as they become available.   So, again, are you on build 5010 of 25?  And what point release of MacOS are you running?

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB