Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Cad monitors v. Games monitor

KeesW
Advocate

Having ordered a new computer with an RTX graphic card I am also considering replacing my 10 year old Dell 27" monitor. with a new 32" 4K screen. Is there such a thing as a CAD monitor, or will any good 4K screen such a Dell, Samsung, LG or HP, etc., do the job? I don't use the computer for gaming.

Also, how does a curved screen work for CAD work? I find that I often loose my curser with even a 27" screen. I've changed my Archicad curser to an Autocad style extended one with long vertical and horizontal arms but this option is not always available for other MS Office programs. A curved screen may make better use of one's peripheral vision but might, annoyingly, distort what is shown on the screen.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
14 REPLIES 14
Lingwisyer
Guru

I used a 1800r curved ultrawide monitor when WFH and had no issue. There are plenty of articles around which talk about them. In my opinion it is not really worth paying more for it... though I do not think I have seen a flat ultrawide so if you go that way there is not the option. I find the ultrawide really nice for Archicad and Photoshop given my workspace will all of the toolbars and palettes on the sides.

Have you considered using a cursor highlighter?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

True 'gaming' monitors will have a high refresh rate to show a high number of frames per second when gaming. So you pay a small premium for that feature.

Not sure about 'cad' monitors, but really high end monitors have very good colour representation.

The brands you mention should be fine and should easily last you another 10 years like your current Dell has.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Miha_M
Advisor

I don't think a gaming monitor will make any difference. As @Lingwisyer said, gaming monitors are mostly better for higher refresh rates (120Hz or even higher), but this is noticeable at high paced motion images - games. As our CAD environment is mostly static or slow paced 3D navigation only, the benefit of a high refresh monitor rate is questionable. Maybe the monitor resolution and needed graphic card power for driving that resolution are more important. But if you plan using an RTX based graphic card a 4K monitor will run without any problems, as even the older RTX 2060 supports 8K output as well. Just make sure the work environment size (icons and text) are something you can work with.

I use a 27 inch 2K display and am very happy with it. 

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

jkershaw
Enthusiast

side note: how did you change your Archicad cursor to an AutoCAD style? Can't seem to find that option...

AC26 APPLE SILICON USA FULL 4032
Mac Studio 2022, Apple M1 Max, 64GB RAM
13.2 macOS Ventura
learning AC since version 4.5
Lingwisyer
Guru

I have gotten refurbished monitors from Delloutlet. Comes with a new manufacturers warranty too.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 

Open an Archicad file

Select VIEW > RULER > CURSOR PROJECTION

That is it!

The cursor projection stays after you deselect RULER. To return to the default cursor repeat the above mentioned process and deselect Cursor Projection.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

I think so - ages ago. But I still found it too small. The cursor projection is always visible.

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Nader Belal
Mentor

@KeesW , about monitors:

1. as a rule of thumb you should avoid gaming monitors.
  2. long time ago I have read an article that discouraged the use of curved monitors with CAD work, as lines may frequently appear curved or inclined on curved monitors, besides right now is a lot easier to get a decent wide and straight monitors.
  3. avoid glossy surface monitors at all cost.
  4. A decently factory colored calibrated monitor worth more than what they ask for, anything that achieves 72% of NTSC color space is more than enough, unless your work includes professional color grading.
  5. the higher the refresh rate the less strain on the eyes, but right now I believe that any monitor with more than 120hz refresh rate is an overkill.
  6. As an advice, check this site Rtings , they have the best reviews you can get on monitors, and they even classify them by intended usage

A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.

Thanks! Although by default it was not there in the Architectural Commands 25 menu structure. I had to add the Cursor Projection command to the menu via the Work Environment configuration.

AC26 APPLE SILICON USA FULL 4032
Mac Studio 2022, Apple M1 Max, 64GB RAM
13.2 macOS Ventura
learning AC since version 4.5