Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Can't get hi-res, full frame 3D image to fill 3D window

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to make a hi-resolution 3D rendered perspective for use in Illustrator (final size 16" x 12") and am having difficulty getting the image to fill the entire large 3D Window (set at 3000 x 2400 pixels). When I set the 3D Window to a smaller 1024 x 869, it fills the window correctly. But when the window size is enlarged, and obviously so large it runs off the screen, the image still remains the same size as the smaller window setting, even when I do the "Fit in Window" command.

Am I doing something incorrectly? Isn't the image supposed to fill the entire 3D window regardless of it's size, after using the "Fit in Window" and "Rebuild" commands?

I'm on Dual 1.42ghz G4, OS 10.3.1, with 2 gb ram.
4 REPLIES 4
Djordje
Ace
Quito wrote:
I'm trying to make a hi-resolution 3D rendered perspective for use in Illustrator (final size 16" x 12") and am having difficulty getting the image to fill the entire large 3D Window (set at 3000 x 2400 pixels).
Why do you need the 3D window so large? Are you saving the 3D window as an image?

If you are rendering, just set the rendering size to whatever you need, in your case 3000x2400 pixels. Make sure to have the proportion the same.

Or did I miss the point?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Dwight
Newcomer
While the Photorendering window is independent of the 3D view size, attached is a screenshot of a method to create a vector and polygon view that can be pasted directly into Illustrator and resized infinitely.

This makes a large 3D window irrelevant.

Note that this is not for the OpenGL view from which only a pixel image can be copied.
3D-window-method.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your replies.

I've been away, and therefore unable to check this forum since my post. Since then I've been able to get the photorendering window to work for me. For some reason, the photorendering DOES work sucessfully at the large size (but not quite as large as my indended size stated previously), I just had to wait for the Photorendering window to complete. It wasn't showing correctly in the enlarged 3D window, which I was assuming had to be set at the same size as the intended final Photorendering Window Size. (I realize this maybe be unclear, but it's difficult for me to describe under the time pressure I'm in!)

Anyway - thanks for your help - it's much appreciated!

Quito
Djordje
Ace
Quito wrote:
For some reason, the photorendering DOES work sucessfully at the large size (but not quite as large as my indended size stated previously), I just had to wait for the Photorendering window to complete. It wasn't showing correctly in the enlarged 3D window, which I was assuming had to be set at the same size as the intended final Photorendering Window Size. (I realize this maybe be unclear, but it's difficult for me to describe under the time pressure I'm in!)
The only important relations between the photorendering and the 3D window are:

1. What you see in the 3D window will be rendered in the Photorendering window

2. The PROPORTIONS have to be the same in order to get exactly what you want; the SIZE does not - the 3D window can be small, the size of the Photorendering window depends on the size of the image that you need. They even do not have to be proportional, but in that case you will have background colored bands filling in the extra space.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen