Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CodeMeter users cannot run old versions of ArchiCAD

Jussi_
Booster
Windows has had better backwards compatible than Macintosh since OsX was introduced. As a Mac user I can tell we can cope with newest version running on newest operating system and hardware.

But I cannot tolerate that we cannot run obsolete ArchiCAD versions on old machines or on virtual machines, because of hardware key not supporting old ArchiCAD versions.

It should be my right to open ArchiCAD file on exactly same ArchiCAD version that it was created. Being perfect document, not almost correctly converted version of my design.

Hardware keys not supporting old version is just wrong. Buildings lifespan outruns software and hardware lifespan or company lifespans.

And I do have old machines and operating systems stored alongside with my old ArchiCAD documents.

I recommend that ArchiCAD 7 and ArchiCAD 9 should be released without hardware lock. Maybe AC 3,4 and AC4,5 are needed too. AC16 can handle documents from AC10 onwards very well and hardware keys still support all of those ArchiCAD versions.
22 REPLIES 22
Karl Ottenstein
As I said earlier, perhaps Graphisoft will arrange some means for loyal customers such as you to retain a WIBU key for your old hardware/software even if the switch is made to Codemeter-only for newer releases.

You have the right attitude about all of this I think: namely, you understand that you need OLD hardware to run OLD versions of AC and are willing to have all of that. Your valid concern is that IF Graphisoft replaces your WIBU key with a CM key, then you will not be able to utilize the old versions on your old hardware. I think they will easily understand that.

You seem to be worrying a great deal about something that has not happened yet. I would advise you to wait and see what happens when AC 19 is released. If indeed it will only run under CodeMeter, then you will actually have a problem. At the moment, you are only anticipating one.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
You seem to be worrying a great deal about something that has not happened yet. I would advise you to wait and see what happens when AC 19 is released. If indeed it will only run under CodeMeter, then you will actually have a problem. At the moment, you are only anticipating one.
Karl,
I think that Jussi has already expressed that there is ALREADY a problem with the compatibility of the AC18 WIBU drivers, in addition to any future Codemeter key issues. Frankly, I would like Graphisoft to understand that this is a serious concern in advance of any definitive policy decisions, so that they have a plan in place to deal with it. My own upgrade path would be affected as well. I am prepared to stay with AC17 for a long time, if necessary.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Richard,

I believe his concern is being able to run old versions in the future if he is forced to relinquish his WIBU key for a CodeMeter key.

The issue of newer drivers not working with old versions (version 7) is simply an old software issue that is as unreasonable to expect to be solved as running OS 9 on a 2014 Mac. He has old computers that he is able to install the old WIBU drivers on and run AC 7 from, so really doesn't have an issue there that I can tell.

I'm not sure what this thread has to do with your staying on AC 17?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
If Graphisoft fails to make provisions for how to deal with very old legacy projects for their longtime users, then some of these users will choose to not upgrade for fear of losing access. It may or may not be an issue in the future, but it certainly WILL be an issue if not dealt with. I would rather let Graphisoft know that it will be an issue and give them some advance warning to plan a strategy in advance. I can access old projects now with my current WIBU key. If there is no provision in the future to access them, I will not be upgrading. (I had not upgraded to AC18 because I had heard that AC17 was going to be the last WIBU version. Turned out not to be the case, but it still looks like WIBU's days are numbered, and that legacy projects are not significantly on their radar screen.)

Also, I don't really appreciate being charged an additional fee when I'm being forced by GS to switch to CodeMeter.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Jussi_
Booster
Our office has 4 licenses with subscription. Small firms are the foundation of Graphisofts success, thought big firms seems to get all the attention now a days (from Graphisoft).

Compatibility and full access with perfect render of old documents is vital for us. ArchiCAD 9 and PlotMaker work flow is something that does not convert nicely to ArchiCAD 10+. And I am probably only one in the world to whom matters that ArchiCAD 5.1 renders floor plan walls differently than ArchiCAD 5 or 6. Most of the issues are directly ArchiCAD version related, some are GDL related issues. And then there are PlotMaker and DWG converters issues. Some issues are called features and many are bugs. Bug effecting a thing in project file can be fixed on next AC version and reappearing on the one after that AC version. We can not wait Graphisoft to fix errors effecting our output to PLT, DWG or PDF. We have to bypass bugs - change the way we work in most serious cases. It does matter what ArchiCAD version we use. And it does take great deal of labor to have an old PLN to run on the latest ArchiCAD version.

If we have a well paid contract to remodel our old design, we are willing to go the extra labor to work on ArchiCAD version we are using at that time. Not necessary the latest ArchiCAD (despite subscription). When old designs need to be opened, most of us do not yet have a contract. Therefore revisiting old files needs to be as effortless as possible. Graphisoft has already neglected this customer need as their development preference. Dropping WIBU is natural continuity of this policy. Not responding to this topic is decision by Graphisoft to neglect their oldest customers needs.
Jussi_
Booster
Karl wrote:
Hi Richard,

Cheers,
Karl
Closing subscription now is a valid option.

Were are using AC 16, since new features of AC 17 would have effected our productivity. Those same features are present (hopefully matured) in AC 18. I can see benefits to implement those new features to our workflow and if things go well: we upgrade to AC 18. But by then AC 18 is over half a year old already.

Access to older ArchiCAD versions is more important than yearly updates. Economically right choice to our office would be to cancel our subscription immediately. Therefore this is also about staying on an old ArchiCAD version. And actually about Graphisofts decision to force some of us to stop updating ArchiCAD for awhile. Four to six years would go without a problem, then update most likely would be mandatory to our office.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Karl wrote:
I would advise you to wait and see what happens when AC 19 is released. If indeed it will only run under CodeMeter, then you will actually have a problem. At the moment, you are only anticipating one.
When I was upgrading to AC18, I was told by Graphisoft US that 18 would be the last version on WIBU key, that Codemeter key would be required for AC19. I was offered a free Codemeter key exchange, but I declined, noting that I would loose the ability to run earlier versions, and that bringing older versions (back to 4.1 for me) worked better by going through 7 to 10. The person I spoke with acknowledged this issue, but did not know what the solution, if any would be. So certainly Graphisoft is aware of this, but I don't feel waiting until the last minute (release of version 19) and then discussing this issue is any sort of plan.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
You can run old versions with a CodeMeter key. The special ArchiCAD 7 and ArchiCAD 10-based "file converter" versions both work with CodeMeter keys. (Note that you have to have both WibuKey and CodeMeter drivers installed). These file converters are available here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

Version 10,11, and 12 can also be CodeMeter-enabled by installing the "CodeMeter enabler":
http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/protection_key.html#CMEnabler

Version 13 and above works with CodeMeter natively.

With the above tools, you can open files as old as 4.1 using a CodeMeter Key.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Jussi_
Booster
I take Gergely Kmethy's post as Graphisofts official statement that converting old files with errors and multistep manual labor is good enough practice from software company. Might be better approach than competitors, but not good enough to me. Also this answer from Graphisoft is in line with they statement on internet that AC 18 is the last one supported by WIBU key. Therefore my worries are not premature. This is the time to act by users and Graphisoft alike.

Our office has 4 ArchiCAD licenses and we have broken and replaced one WIBU key so far. Braking, fixing and replacing other hardware to run old ArchiCAD is breeze to compared to fixing WIBU key in next ten years time. The most economical solution to old customers right to run old ArchiCAD versions is to release ArchiCAD's prior to 10 without copy protection. There is zero lost sales of ArchiCAD because of this and zero hassle with old customers (apart we need to download and install copy protection free version of ArchiCAD).

It is much more unpleasant to cancel subscription for three to four years and just repurchasing ArchiCAD 22 as my next version. This way I have WIBU keys and whatever keys AC 22 uses. Good time to look for the competition, too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah... This is a problem for myself, too. I've got files all the way back to AC7.

I have a WIBU key that will run up to version 12. I inquired about getting a second, identical key that would run 7 thru 12 and was told I couldn't. I still use 9 on a DAILY basis. Actually, I think it's the best version of AC ever written.. just the right amount of features without bloat, and runs super-fast on today's machines. Check out my sig - I don't use the latest stuff.... I use stuff that WORKS.

I'd like a BACKUP key. If my existing WIBU key were lost or destroyed in a fire, I'd be totally screwed. This problem is getting very real for me, because soon I'll be working in two locations that are an airplane ride apart.... I don't relish the thought of mailing my WIBU key or having to run it through an X-ray machine at the airport (while TSA shoves their fingers in my various bodily orifices).

So... Can I get a new WIBU key that will run AC9??? I'll pay a LOT for it (I mean in the 5 figures range). Anybody got one???? Graphisoft... Will you please, PLEASE sell me one???? Having a single key is as scary as hell.

My two cents... from a known curmudgeon. You can have my AC9 when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.... Or destroy my WIBU key.

This issue needs to be addressed. Change is fine as long as it doesn't erase the past. I'm seeing this issue become evident across our entire society.

What if we were to render the collected works of Walt Whitman unreadable into the future? Would you think 'progress' was worth THAT?

Sheesh.