BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Compaq iPAQ VR Viewing

David Pacifico
Booster
I have a client that has a Compaq iPAQ, and they would like to view 3D models on it. At the moment they have Windows Media player on it. On my desktop with Windows Media Player I can view Quicktime Animations, but not VR's or VRO's. I assume one could load Quicktime on the iPAQ to view those. Anybody with some first hand experience?
I don't know the exact model they have.
What resolution works best? or does the image get compressed somehow?
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Hi David,

It appears that there is no easy way.

I got a Dell Axim a month or so ago - same PocketPC software as the iPaq. Cool devices.

Interestingly, the first thing that I wanted to do was to use the GDL web plugin ... figured a handheld was a great way to browse through objects away from the desk. But, that won't work on 'em the way Graphisoft has it programmed at the moment.

Apple does not have a version of QuickTime posted on their site for PocketPC. I found the following web page that talks about converting a VR to a Flash animation to enable viewing on PocketPC:

http://www.cwru.edu/its/itac/nms/rd/qtvr/qtvr.html

Note that current models run PocketPC 2003 which includes the Flash player, so the Flash download mentioned in the link shouldn't be necessary.

(While I can open a QT animation on my desktop version of Windows Media Player, I can't open one on the PocketPC version.)

PocketPC's have a resolution of 240 x 320 pixels. When viewing images in the image viewer (e.g., JPG), any size image can be viewed and rotated (landscape/portrait) It is shrunk to fit the screen - but can be zoomed to any size, and then panned by just dragging the stylus around the screen. (PocketPC-based telephones have fewer pixels on the screen - not sure what their resolution is.)

For Flash/web pages/media player, some of the pixels are used by menus and other stuff, so I'm not sure what the remaining max viewable pixel area is.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Pacifico
Booster
Thanks for the info Karl. That does help.
I'll do some more research. I imagine they will want to view DWF's on them also, which I've seen. I suppose a tablet PC would be another way they could go.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Thanks for the info Karl. That does help.
I'll do some more research. I imagine they will want to view DWF's on them also, which I've seen. I suppose a tablet PC would be another way they could go.
You're welcome. Yes, if they want DWF as well, I'd go tablet PC since it is "real" windows and can run anything...and has more pixels. Fill us in about what happens - this is the first that either PocketPC or tablet PC has come up on the list AFAIK and it'll be interesting to see how it works out with your client.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!