BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Copying and Pasting problem in Layout book

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know if this is a Mac problem - I've only recently started working on Macs but whenever I try copying and pasting in Layout mode from one layout to another, ArchiCAD crashes. This has happened with both AC10 & AC11. I suspect it's NOT an ArchiCAD issue, but I was hoping someone would be able to help anyway.

Macs - thus far I'm not all that impressed- a good PC will easily match performance and will cost half as much as the mac. How do others feel about this?

Thanks!

Mark RR
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, so I've spoken to a colleague about this problem - apparently it doesn't actually crash, just takes 10 minutes or more (literally) to complete a simple copy paste - and I'm not talking about large amounts of data - it takes about 5 minutes for 1 line of text...

(this wouldn't happen on a PC...)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark wrote:
I don't know if this is a Mac problem - I've only recently started working on Macs but whenever I try copying and pasting in Layout mode from one layout to another, ArchiCAD crashes. This has happened with both AC10 & AC11. I suspect it's NOT an ArchiCAD issue, but I was hoping someone would be able to help anyway.
Hard to say what this is. More info might help, but you may need to have a tech look at the machine. The copy/paste problem is only with ArchiCAD?
Macs - thus far I'm not all that impressed- a good PC will easily match performance and will cost half as much as the mac. How do others feel about this?
PCs used to cost less for the same (or better) performance, but the TCO for Macs has always been lower (I've been using both for over ten years now and could have bought an extra top of the line Mac every year if I could have billed for all the extra time it took to maintain my PC). Now that Macs are Intel based they provide at least the same performance and typically sell for less than the equivalent Dell or HP. Also the design and build quality is generally superior.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark wrote:
(this wouldn't happen on a PC...)
Yes it does, sorry.

Must say, it hasn't happened for a while, although I haven't changed anything
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, Stuart... you're probably right - what I should have sad is that this wouldn't have happened on my old PC - never had the problem until I got onto Macs... but then again maybe I was lucky.

So anyway, is there anyway of solving this? Or at least speeding things up a little? Will a memory upgrade help? On the PC i used to use I had DDR3 876 (or something like that) memory - i.e 3 times faster than DDR400... perhaps this is what prevented it happening before?

Or maybe I should shut up and learn to live with it...
or use it as a coffee break..
__archiben
Booster
Mark wrote:
So anyway, is there anyway of solving this?
do you use cadimage's revision manager? this has only happened to me whilst i was trying revision manager . . . because it writes add-on data to the layout or something. same when you try and import layout/master layout stuff from other files using the navigator>browse function.

i've never reported it (there are too many DWB bugs that need fixing first).

otherwise, speedy copy/paste from layout to layout for me on all of the macs here . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
do you use cadimage's revision manager?
No. Don't have it. Don't use it.

Thanks anyway... the problem is not limited to layouts, it's just much worse there - copying and pasting from one story to another (2d objects only) takes about 6 minutes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
A quick workaround the copy and paste issue for Text - rather than copying the whole text block, open the text as if you're going to edit it and then copy the text from there - this way there's no delay.

Not quite the solution I was looking for but it's a start...
Learn and get certified!