Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Crashing - ARCHICAD 24 build 5004 Mac OS 10.15.6

4hotshoes
Advisor
Random acts of violence! There is nothing consistent that I can see in AC24 crashing. I am just getting into a new project and I have been creating a new template for AC24, but it crashes daily and likely more if I had time to work on it more. Does anyone else have any issues with AC24 on Mac?

Bug reports have been sent with explanations of what I was doing as bet that I can remember. File recovery has been fine.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Is there a reason you are running Catalina 10.15.6 and not updated to Catalina 10.15.7?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
4hotshoes
Advisor
I just recently updated to 10.15.6 and did not know there was another already. I will get the update
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the issue!

What you described is very similar to this phenomenon: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/133933/

Have you tried to apply the workaround mentioned in this article?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

4hotshoes
Advisor
Ok, all of the AMD graphic card problems make sense and is exactly what I am experiencing. I will do the work around as prescribed and report back... Another odd behavior when I zoom in on the floor plan or an elevation or the 3D view and then switch tabs to work on another view then switch back to the previous tab, the last zoomed view flashes up and then jumps to the zoomed view I had before I initially switched tabs. It seemed to be a harmless glitch that is not worth reporting, but it may likely be related.

Also, I am wondering if the AMD Radeon card is also causing the "Explore Model" to malfunction. If my Archicad is left on, over night, the Explore Model will start with the mouse allowing me to turn to see the model from one location, but the "walking" function from the key board does not allow me to move to a different position until I restart Archicad. I have always assumed it was a keyboard problem, but it could likely be the Graphics card that is interfering. What do you think, Minh?

Thank you for the insight.
Todd Oeftger
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Todd,

I hope the workaround will work until Apple release a fix on their side (which is very soon!).

Regarding the 2 problems you mentioned, I don't think it's graphics card related. I can reproduce the zooming problem by switching very fast between the tabs, but I imagine with a bigger file, this can be reproduced easier.

The issue with Explore mode is interesting. I believe there might have been a disconnection between Archicad and other hardware overnight. When the issue happens, do other keyboard shortcuts work with Archicad? Does this also happen with other applications, let say Word?

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

4hotshoes
Advisor
No other keyboard commands are effected and it is only in Archicad, no other apps.
Todd Oeftger
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Todd,

Thank you for the information!

Sadly, we haven't seen anything like this. Our best guess is that if the machine wakes up from sleep, 3D navigation can be slightly slow/laggy, thus the keyboard function is slow to react in 3D environment. But it doesn't seem to fit your description.

Let's start from the basic, with Preferences Cleaning. This will reset the Work Environment, hopefully it would clear the problem with navigation with Explore mode.

On the other note, we now officially support macOS 11 Big Sur, from version 11.3. This version included a fix from Apple that would prevent the random crashes from happening. If you can, I strongly suggest updating to this version to fix the heap corruption crashes!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

rjwilden
Booster
Have been afflicted by these issues for over a year. Upgraded to Big Sur and they seem to have gone away.
Im holding my breath in hope they are gone forever. No daily crashes!!!
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
I've been experiencing random crashes SINCE upgrading to 5004 and Big Sur (that was recommended by Graphisoft (see attached). Every day - several times a day.
mnguyen wrote:
Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the issue!

What you described is very similar to this phenomenon: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/133933/

Have you tried to apply the workaround mentioned in this article?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh
Thomas Allan Palmer
Architect AIBC MRAIC
ArchiCAD 24 MacBook Pro
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6