Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Crashing and Losing Data

Eric Milberger
Advocate
Working on one pln file.
Work at two different locations - remote - office
At remote I use a laptop that seems to be fine for this small project
At office have a workstation but only a 1080i graphics card

First Issue: from office
Working on plan and placing footings at the time
I would make all adjustment and all was good
but save close and open up and footings would have disappeared
repeated with same results.

Then when I would move around from sheet to sheet or darwing to drawing within a sincular solo project my drawings would LOOK as if data was disappearing. (note that I have been saving as things are added and vetted, So quite often) several times I rebooted and all work was gone. I can to redo over and over and save to make sure things stayed.

Last night I did they same thing and things would disappear and then I got in a habit to save after anything was placed well hit save. That helped, but several Times I left and came back in and some piece was missing again.

Also another symptom. I would drag a nice elevation or section onto a sheet and it would turn immediatly into a wire frame of that view with all skeleton items shown.

Then to fix that I would have to open the View of the Section, then immediately drag it onto the sheet and they looked great.

Now here is my issue- spent two hours adding to sheets and had then all created and visible in the tree list and could open them all,.

I saved and when I opened this morning 10 or more sheets were gone - not in the list at only only a few where in the list.

Is this hardware, software? I need to finish this job. Same issue across both machines.
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
How are you opening the files?
Are you going to a folder and opening the file from there or are you opening Archicad and getting the file from the recent documents list?

What are your machine specs, operating system, and Archicad version?
For both machines.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
How are you accessing the file from both locations? Saved on portable media (USB / HD)? Saved on server and connecting remotely? BIM Server? From Dropbox or other file hosting service?

Regards,
Scott
Eric Milberger
Advocate
Thanks guys for chiming in.
I am not using the server right now as my remote has no internet. Typical job site. And my cell is slow
I use a NAS to store my files.
But what I do check before I open the file and make sure the most recent file in on my machine and the pln file is one that syncs
While remote I open the laptop, check that I have the correct version and work on the file
I will close my cell connection after the check
Also I Pause any syncing as it is a wasted and I think slows things down
I will work on the file
Then reconnect at home to sync with the NAS

I never work on a file that is on the network but always on a file on my machine.

Yesterday things were better on both sides. But I did spend a lot of time reverifying, extra saving, etc, to make sure I did not lose something I just did.

My operation has not changed
And this process keeps me off an internet connection
Barry Kelly
This is starting to get a bit technical for me.
I let my IT guys handle all the file syncing stuff.
When I work remotely, I have internet access to the server and files, just as I do in the office.
If no access, I then manually copy the file I need to work on and make sure I copy it back to the server when I can connect again.

Your NAS, I assume is syncing the files across multiple locations, similar to a cloud storage it seems to me (I might be wrong).
When ever you use any syncing system, I think it is 'user beware'.
The syncing can occur in multiple directions (machine to server, server to machine) so you would need to be sure the files are only being updated from the newest file, no matter where that file gets saved in the system.
There is also the danger of syncing files becoming corrupt if they are being worked on 'live' in Archicad.
Especially when you save multiple times quickly, while the file starts to sync.
You just need to be careful and know exactly what is happening.

I can guarantee that if you save a file in Archicad to your local hard drive, then when you open that file from the recently saved list, it will be the file that you last saved.
If you save a file to a syncing folder there could be problems as mentioned - the file is syncing while you try to save, or maybe it gets synced after you save it with another version of the file, elsewhere on the system.

Short story is, I would be very wary of syncing files.
Personally I would access directly from the office server if you can.
If you can't save yourself a local copy of the file and then save it back manually yourself.
Or at least work on a copy of the file outside of the syncing folders.
When done, copy it back to the syncing folder and let it do its thing.
I would try to avoid working on a file while it is in a syncing folder.

I may be completely wrong, as I say I let the IT guys handle all the hard stuff.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Open the one file thru the application front end menu.

This issue comes and goes.

The file is on my office NAS at the office.

It downloads a copy to the three pcs I might use

With only one license I cannot open this file by two machines

I make sure the file is up to date on the machine I am using

Then I open that file from the machine.  No USB -

Sync should not be the issue as I am the only one syncing

Since it is just me I stopped using my server ,

I use the one file- at one time- with just me,

I cannot be open on two machines as I have only one license so file is always closed

and before I open I always check that I a up to date as an old file would lose data