Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

DWG

Anonymous
Not applicable
As new as they come to Archicad v7.
Reverted for rendering qualities (hoping im making the right move as ive not much time to play about, but ive seen some examples)

What can you import from DWG files?

I currently use Architectural Desktop 3.3 and Revit but i need a program where i can construct a "solid" from Desktop and import it.

Can i import a 3D solid into archicad, i get error messages when i click File>Merge saying "Warning","undocumented entities found" ????

Any help from the archicad big dogs would be appreciated
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
just to add,

ive tried the command Dimdisassociate then selecting the object.

3D walls import but im having a problem seeing those in 3D just plan. Really i need to import a solid

thanks again

Bryan
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Brian.
Unfortunately you can not import solids into ArchiCAD check out this link http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=319&highlight= for a nice tutorial on a great method for importing AutoCAD solids into ArchiCAD
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Brian.
Unfortunately you can not import solids into ArchiCAD check out this link http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=319&highlight= for a nice tutorial on a great method for importing AutoCAD solids into ArchiCAD
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bryan,

to get a solid from a dwg or dxf file you need to open as a GDL object

IN AC7 go to
FILE then
OPEN LIBRARY PART
then change format to dwg or dxf,
once object is opened, save as and give the object a name,

the object tool should now be set to your object.
place it in the drawing.

this object will only have selection points on the corners and at the centre.

If you need points in specific places for accurate placement let us know and we can help there. ( thats if your not sure how to yourself )
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben and Kerry, im getting there thanks to this site.. Ive imported a simple solid cone into AC7, well converting it into surfaces first. I see the plan of the cone in Archicad (MUCH bigger than expected. Why has the scale increased? ) but when i (shift+3) its not there?/??

is there something i have to set in the 3d window? if your working within archicad the 3d window focus's on whatever you have selected..

thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bryan,

Maybe you need to explain the steps you go through to import the cone so we can see how and where you may need to do things different.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The steps im taking

-Cone made as solid in Architectural Desktop 3.3
-Comand 3dsout is made and solid selected
-Command 3dsin is made, the new cone file is imported to cad
-The cone is now made of surfaces and saved as a .dwg
Thats fine (now my favourite bit)

-in AC7, i file>open>cone.dwg
-a window appears where i "open as and archicad project"
-I select explode (not sure of the differences yet)
-Translate the .dwg drawing unit into 1.00
-I leave expert as im clearly not hehe
-Click ok
-There it is in plan mode

-You then asked me to save this cone
-Save as .pln
-I then close this, reopen my existing file. Ive made a wall 8metres accross
-I then merge the new cone.pln
-i paste in current view + zoom to pasted elements
-The wall is there and the plan of the Cone
- just when i thought id done it i pressed Ctrl+3 for the 3D view. The wall is there but the cone is not.. I need to be able to render this in the end

Thanks once again
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bryan,

Once you have the cone solid saved as .dwg file
then open your Archicad file. don't open the .dwg as a new project.

You need to be in archicad first then follow the next few steps:

1. start with a blank Archicad file open
2. go to file menu, click on open Library part.
3. this will bring up a dialog box for you to search for your .dwg file. ( the default library part format is .gsm so you may need to choose .dwg from the file format list.)
4. once you have found your file click open
5. a dialog box for the file translation will apear, you need to select create library parts not the grouped or explode options.
6. this will bring up the GDL editing window and your object.
7. now save this as a .gsm object
8. from archicad select the object tool and click on the plan area. this should place the cone.

P.S. I may have missed something in my explanation, so If your not in a hurry I will work through the steps myself to confirm, but can't do until latter today.

once yourv'e done it a couple of times it's easy.
But the cone needs to be an object. opening a .dwg as a .pln file will not have any 3d model.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check you out! working now.. I hope i get to grips with the rest of the program a bit faster than the hours invested into that one...

but guess what hehe one more prob.. when i few it in 3d parallel mode its there, when i hit perspective its gone ..?? somewhere.. cant seam to move about to find it either..

this program is laughing at me now