BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Dell vs HP vs Anything else

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this subject has been talked about a while back, but I just wanted to know if any one had any experience with recent Dell workstations.

We currently use HPs - but are now looking at Dell's due to them being quite a bit cheaper. Personally I would rather use Apples or build our own PCs - neither of these is an option though, and beyond my control sadly.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Dell (service, quality etc..)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
My experience is HPs beat Dells hands down.

If I couldn't run Windows on my MacBook Pro, I would buy an HP. I used to buy ThinkPads until they failed to make any 17" models.
TomWaltz
Participant
MY company uses HP exclusively, partially because we can get them the way we want them: the hardware we want, the OS we want, and no crapware loaded on them.
Tom Waltz
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I have had a Dell Precision workstation for about 4 years-still going strong. This is my 3rd Dell computer and I have been very satisfied with their product. However, my next computer will be a Mac.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
If I couldn't run Windows on my MacBook Pro,
How does it run? I've seen lots of blogs that say intel macs are fantastic windows machines. I haven't been able to play as my home mac is an ageing G4. Does Archicad work happily?
Erich
Contributor
Tom,

I use my Macbook Pro at the office and also have windows loaded. Typically I am using the Mac side for AC however, I also work with the Windows side to set up AC for when the rest of the office switches. I must say I have had no AC problems and Windows runs better on the laptop than on my PC workstation. The only issue I have is that the trackpad it a little harder to use on the windows side than on the Mac side. But plugging in a mouse takes care of that issue completely.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Rakela Raul
Participant
The engineers from Geopak software (Bentley System..floor below ours) use HP's only......I hav had 2 dells already and never a problem.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
...The only issue I have is that the trackpad it a little harder to use on the windows side than on the Mac side. But plugging in a mouse takes care of that issue completely.
Who really would use a trackpad for CAD anyway?

BTW: As I recall two fingers on the pad for right click works in Windows as well. (I'll check once I've reinstalled Windows later today.)
Erich
Contributor
Mathew,

Yes the trackpad two finger scroll works fine in Windows. So does right clicking.

I know is it an abomination, however, I am using the trackpad to do all my AC work at the moment. Fortunately, on the Macbook Pro, this actually works fairly well thanks to being able to right click and having the option to zoom using two fingers, etc. The only thing, I feel I am missing is a quick pan, but setting up a keyboard shortcut solves that just fine.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
How about IBM Workstation?
Learn and get certified!