Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Desktop workstation considerations regarding Teamwork local data - second drive: HD or SSD?

Johan Stinckens
Advocate
Hi,

We are replacing one of the workstations in our firm and I have been quoted for two similar machines.
The one difference between them: the second 1TB drive is either a HD or an SSD.

Any ideas on this considering that we have recently moved more of our projects to BIMcloud.
The local copies of the Teamwork projects would either reside on a SSD or on a 7200rpm HD.

What performance improvements might we expect? Are these significant or not?!
Johan Stinckens
BIM Modeller at Atrium Architecten
Archicad user since April 2014 (v17 - v26) - CC iRT i9-12900 - 64 GB / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 - Windows 10 Pro 64

Other than that it's hiking, camping, climbing.
2 REPLIES 2
Marc H
Advisor
I only use SSDs, whether internal or external type. Because they are solid state technology, they have fast read/write and no mechanical failure. If you utilize external type (for off-line back-up or mobility), you may want to consider independently encrypted models.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Lingwisyer
Guru
Will you be working off that drive? If so, the SSD will be a significant improvement.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660