BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Difficulty Upgrading ArchiCAD (in Australia)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using ArchiCAD 16 at the moment, and I am the only one using it in our office. But we have three licenses for ArchiCAD 16 from when there were more draftsmen working here. We have decided to upgrade to 18, but when I contacted Graphisoft Australia about upgrading just one license, they said we couldn't do that, but instead could only upgrade all three licenses including the compulsory support and upgrade subscription, or buy a new license and compulsory subscription. Those options are around $11,000 and $10,000 respectively. They also said that if we go with the upgrade option, we can split our license only after purchasing the three upgrades so that in future we will only have to pay for one.

You can imagine how we feel about that, given that we were expecting to only pay a few grand for one upgrade, so I won't rant about it. But the reason for me posting is just to find out if anyone can comment on this or has had a similar experience. Is there anyway around it? Could Graphisoft HQ split our license for us as it is, instead of dealing with Graphisoft Australia? The guy I spoke to told me that we could purchase an ArchiCAD license direct from Graphisoft HQ to avoid having to pay for a subscription, but that this would be more expensive than a license and subscription. Not that we don't want a subscription, but this suggests that we could deal directly with them, and that they have different policies on such things.

This is also just a heads up to anyone else in smaller businesses who may not always need all of their licenses. You may be better off keeping them separate, despite the small savings, so that they can be upgraded individually as necessary.
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
challpagal wrote:
No matter how one looks at it - this is sure a great case study for some business school in how not to treat customers. I can fully understand your frustration, and even angst at how to resolve this licensing cost while maintaining your scaled-down business. ???
You should check out Autodesk sometimes and see how they treat their customers. No upgrade price from February 1, 2015? Only new licenses for 100% full price, even if you want to upgrade from last year's version? That is a case study in monopolistic behavior in my opinion.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!