BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Does anyone own a machine that screams in 2D?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have lag on all my machines in 2D to some extent. AC11 has pushed things slower yet.

I am re-evaluating my set ups and wondering if anyone that uses AC10 or AC11 all day has a machine that moves in real time with your clicks and pans. Especially in layouts where it seems the slowdowns are the worst (and yes, I have auto updates off)

I am planning on either building a machine from scratch or even switching back to mac platform. Desperate to have my 2d navigation get back to the speed I had in AC9.

My newest machine should be able to fly but it doesn't. Flies in all other 2d intensive apps (photoshop). Graphisoft is trying to help me figure out where the problem is.

So I was hoping to get a list of successful processors so that if I build a machine I am going to be successful.

Thanks much
11 REPLIES 11
Greg,

When was the last time you updated your Nvidia driver? I have almost the same specs as you (3.6 mHz P4 and NVidia 7900GTX), and updated the video driver a few days ago. Made a HUGE difference in AC11. Previously, I had a fairly recent video driver, so I was skeptical about the need to update it.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Dwight
Newcomer
One of our forum colleagues reported that two graphics cards worked together to make 3D OpenGL navigating faster. I think it was 1Gb in total.

I wonder if combining cards can speed 2D redraw?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard,
I just checked and I do have the most recent driver installed. I have been checking regularly. I even tried installing nvidia's newest 8800 card w/ 640mb of memory but did nothing in 2D.

Thanks
TomWaltz
Participant
I have one that screams about 2D, does that count?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ha. I know the feeling.
You might check the NVidia settings and check to make sure that the Anti-Aliasing is set to "Application Controlled".
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have that adjusted. Have tried turning it off as well.

A setting that does help a bit is turn the color to 16 bit as opposed to 32 bit. Speeds up a bit, actually maybe as much as a third.

Still unbearably laggy though. My older, single processor machine is much faster. Slow, but bearable.

Thats why I am wondering if people are having luck with the new core duos. Maybe just an overclocked single processor with a good graphics card is a better solution w/ archicad. I keep feeling that it is my processor that isn't liking Archicad. It runs @ 50% at rest when Archicad is open.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had a strange thing happen.

Discovered that if I open up a one gig photoshop file and then open my archicad file my cpu usage goes to a normal 1-50%, 1% at rest.
Archicad works much better. When I close the photoshop file archicad goes to the dogs again and my cpu usage goes to above 50% and usually is hovering closer to 100%.
Somehow, photoshop is forcing Archicad to be less demanding of the cpu... Maybe forcing it to use the video card? Any thoughts on what is going on. Wish I knew someone using the same CPU as me to see if the problem is there.

Weirdest workaround I have come up with for Archicad yet.

And if I stand next to the aerials and hold them just this way, a little to the left... no, a little to the right...
Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread just helped me solve an issue that was driving me NUTS, and thought I should bump this thread in case anyone else is having the same problem:
Recently installed AC 11 EDU on a machine with an ATI Radeon, and OpenGL was running like a dream but the 2d redraw was incredibly slow - turn off anti-aliasing and such like in graphics cards settings (or turn to "application settings") and 2d now works in realtime.
Learn and get certified!