Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Downward Extrusion in 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is an example of a roof and slab with a downward extrusion. It does not cut all the way thru the slab! Surely this is not the correct outcome for this tool. Any ideas? I have worked around by just making the roof thick enough to remove the portion of slab that I required, but it seems that with the new solid object tool we should be able to get this without this workaround.

Mac 10.2.8
AC 8.1 build 1307
7 REPLIES 7
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Sorry to hear this.

I discovered another bug with SEOs. I went to a stair section created in 8.0 to find the walls below my two flights of stairs, which had been raked by using the stairs as operators with an upward extrusion, now poking through. Re-doing the SEO did not fix it. Upon experimenting with some blank files I found that stairs from the 8.1 library will work as operators but Stairmaker stairs will not. They did in 8.0. Large bummer.

I sent the files to GS.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
another stair bug
arch.8.1 stairs dont work even as a target.
if you put a stair in the floorplan and use as operator a slab with substraction and upwards... operation will afect the entire stair not only over the slab area
The same problem was noticed by a friend of mine but it regarded a sloped curtain wall - this object worked as upwards "trimmer" in 8.0r3 and now in 8.1 it is not unfortunately...
(the object is not made with faces because it produces fills in section - I was looking for non-solid entities inside - which do not work as operators...)

Regards
Piotr Dobrowolski
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
archibaldo wrote:
another stair bug arch.8.1 stairs dont work even as a target.
I noticed this too, but again with the Stairmaker stairs from an existing project. If the stair is the target only the railing remains after a subtraction. Pity since subtracting slabs from stairs would help a lot in section.

Overall it appears something in 8.1 broke SEOs which were already in need of a more robust implementation.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Aussie John
Newcomer
I think GS needs more beta testers - It is so frustrating all these little (and big) bugs.

Since version 7 we having been paying good money for a program that is not fully tested and functional.

It is all well and good having wizz bang features but if they dont work properly you are almost better off with out them.

Regarding the stairmaker stairs not working with SEO can they be converted into an object to make them work
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
David Tauer
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Thanks to Geoff for reporting this bug to GS.

This is we have to say regarding this issue:

We investigated this problem and found that changes in solid operation in version 8.1 (required to fix certain bugs) combined with a bug in StairMaker causes this error. The fix will be incorporated in a future release.
David W. Tauer
Graphisoft U.S., Inc. - Boston
1-800-238-3992
http://www.archicadwiki.com
Karl Ottenstein
David wrote:
Thanks to Geoff for reporting this bug to GS.

This is what R&D has to say regarding this issue:

We investigated this problem and found that changes in solid operation in version 8.1 (required to fix certain bugs) combined with a bug in StairMaker causes this error. We understand that it is a serious bug, but we have little hope that this bug can be fixed in the next maintenance release. It will be incorporated into the next major release.
David,

It's been very helpful to have you and Jeffrry from GSUS participate on the new list ... as well as various new members from GSHQ.

It's also helpful when R&D is frank in their response so we know what to expect. I know they're reading - so thank you all, too.

Bummer that we'll have to wait for the next release though.

Short of going back to creating little roofs to trim under stairs, I wonder if saving the stairmaker object as a binary GDL object (non-editable then of course) would be a workaround for now. Keep the real stairs in one layer, the kludge binary stairs in another layer just for SEO trimming purposes. Have to re-save the cutting stairs if the editable stairs change of course. May give it a try later, unless someone else reading this has a moment to give it a shot.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB