BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Drag-ghost error / drop-down menu fail / pet palette

Anonymous
Not applicable
When dragging an object, as soon as the mouse stops, the object returns to its original position, until I move the mouse again, when the object reappears at the cursor position. I have been given a work around to deselect the pet palette follows cursor option, but now sometimes the pet palette disappears completely (and in any case I want the pet palette to follow my cursor!). I also have an issue of commands not operating from the drop down menus, and minimised windows not appearing as tabs on top of the active window.

The developers are blaming my hardware, I have followed advice of my support team to buy a new graphics card (Quadro K600), this has made no difference. AC17 up to date, PC: i7, 8gb, Quadro K600.

Anyone?!
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
Have you changed your screen text size in any way? Windows display preferences has an option to show text at 125%, etc which can cause some software and some display drivers to do strange things.

While you purchased a new graphics card (the likely culprit) - did you download the latest drivers for that card for your OS from the manufacturer's web site?

Which version of Windows?

Try (for testing only of course) creating a fresh user account on your machine and see if the behavior happens when you launch AC from that account.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, thanks. I have Win7 64.

I tried another user profile and checked the display settings as you describe, no difference.

So here's the thing. The problem of the drag ghost is to do with moving the object in the instant before the tracker and pet palette are fully established (microseconds). The error does not appear if I leave a slight pause between clicking and moving an object.

Local support are insisting this is a latency between my wireless mouse and the software, I suspect it is a latency in the software while the palettes are loaded. Maybe a Core i7 860 2.8GHz Socket LGA 1156 8MB L3 Cache isn't fast enough...

This is no comment on the other error I have described.
Karl Ottenstein
How about your Work Environment settings - do you have 2D hardware acceleration turned off? Do any of the other settings, as shown in the attached screenshot, make a different?
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried all combinations of these settings, the drag-ghost issue is unchanged. It took on average three attempts using the drop down menus to access the settings dialogue on each attempt.
Karl Ottenstein
Do you use a 3rd party mouse driver (e.g., not the Windows built-in driver)? If yours is a wireless mouse - whether bluetooth or proprietary dongle (e.g., Logitech) - have you disabled that mouse and tried a wired, USB mouse?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. Sounds like you've already been in touch with GS UK support, so I'm not sure what else to suggest. This certainly seems to be a situation unique to your machine and software/accessory configuration.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I have been using a wireless Hippus Handshoe, which uses the default microsoft driver, and a Logitech Unifying keyboard and trackball,without the set point application.

I have now removed all this and plugged in a wired mouse and keyboard,and reset the computer. The error is exactly the same.
Learn and get certified!