Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

El Capitan

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Is there any word out on Apples latest operating system and how it works with AC19?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
28 REPLIES 28
joelsdg
Enthusiast
I agree with Karl. If build 7516 is the next hotfix/release, please make it available posthaste. The missing Tracker/Info Box/Boolean Editor is exceptionally frustrating.
I am not having success with the workaround. When I move the cursor a bit, as recommended, the Tracker/Info Box/Boolean Editor does not appear.
Occasionally, when I uncheck the "Enable element information Pop-up (Info Tag)" check box in the Work Environment, and work that way for an indeterminate amount of time before checking the box again, the Tracker/Info Box/Boolean Editor will appear.

Thank you.
AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
In recently Purchased iMac with El-capiton, the ArchiCAD 17 has a major display issues.

1) Can't update Trace-Reference colour.
2) Can't update some Menu items from selection-dialogue/info-box like 'Home story only', Renovation status etc.

Can Graphisoft team publish a hot fix for AC17 to solve this please?

As we can not upgrade all our iMacs to 10.9 and above (some are still with 10.6., we have to use ArchiCAD 17 across the office for perfect co-ordination. Eon though we have licenses upto 18 and 19.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
iMacs and MacBookPros: Mac OS X (10.6 to 10.12, Intel core 2 Quad to i5, i7, 8 GB to 16GB)
Win 10, AMD Opteron 6-Core x 2, 16GB, FirePro W4100 2GB
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are aware that AC 17 and older are not supported on El Capitan, right?:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/operating-systems/mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-beta/#Compati...
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
How can one guess that the newer OS might be incompatible wirh AC17 ! which is just two years older version. This is strange. We realized this only when faced the problems

And here i dont stay with Apple's rigidity that iMac do not allow us even to install the Yosemite. Ultimately customer has to suffer in conflicts between OS and Application.

I am not master of system-level programing but i can say that it is not hard to fix it and publish a hotfix. If Company thinks it is an extra work then it could be a paid hotfix. And users will appreciate it.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
iMacs and MacBookPros: Mac OS X (10.6 to 10.12, Intel core 2 Quad to i5, i7, 8 GB to 16GB)
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
dhaval7shah wrote:
How can one guess that the newer OS might be incompatible wirh AC17 ! which is just two years older version. This is strange. We realized this only when faced the problems .
Well, over the years I found that this happens all the time. Incompatibility between applications and newer operating systems is just a fact of life in the software world. If an application comes out in 2013 it cannot possibly anticipate how a future operating system is going to work.
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan came out last Fall, several months even after the release of ARCHICAD 19. So all software companies had to make significant changes to make their applications compatible with it. GRAPHISOFT usually issues updates to the two latest versions of ARCHICAD, in this case AC18 and AC19. As far as I know this is quite normal among software developers, or developers of BIM applications specifically, like Autodesk in case of Revit and Vectorworks inc. in case of Vectorworks. I guess software developers just have to draw a line when deciding how many previous version they support on a new operating system because of obvious consequences in costs and development time/resources.

Honestly, this is surprising to me that an office that has multiple ARCHICAD copies does not check whether the program will be compatible with their new choice of operating system.
Also, GRAPHISOFT has issued a warning as far back as last July, advising people not to update to MacOS X 10.11 El Capitan:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=244101#244101

I myself tweeted about it twice on Twitter based on GS info, back in July and October:

https://twitter.com/laszlonagy/status/620533846405185536
https://twitter.com/laszlonagy/status/649672495612719104

So Graphisoft has issued warning about these incompatibilities two before El Capitan was released.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
Dhaval,

Incompatibility with newer OS versions is why I've kept clones of older versions of OS X that I can boot into if I have to run an old version for some reason and run into an OS conflict.

I can get away with that because my 2008 Mac Pro can and did run all of those old verisons.

Folks with new Macs that come with El Capitan (e.g.) are in a tougher situation for running old versions of AC, since Apple's "official" policy is that such a Mac can only run the OS it was delivered with... or a newer version of the OS (because device drivers for components in the machine probably do not exist in older versions of the OS):
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201686

The best bet for you to see if you can run an older version of OS X on your new Mac is to create a bootable clone of the OS from one of the older Macs in your office. Ideally, try the newest Mac running Yosemite, since that will run 17 fine. Clone onto a USB 3 external drive.

Plug the drive into your new Mac and go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and attempt to boot from the Yosemite clone. If you are able to do so without any conflicts, then boot that way until your office moves beyond AC 17 and upgrades the other machine OS's. Normally, you can 'point' your clone to access your User folder on the internal Mac disk for both faster access, and so that your home folder looks the same whether you boot from the clone or the native El Capitan boot volume. But, while Googling, I read that the Photos app and a few other things have file format conflicts between Yosemite and El Capitan - so this may lead to a few conflicts, such as only being able to access your photos when you boot to El Capitan.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
Karl wrote:
The best bet for you to see if you can run an older version of OS X on your new Mac is to create a bootable clone of the OS from one of the older Macs in your office. Ideally, try the newest Mac running Yosemite, since that will run 17 fine. Clone onto a USB 3 external drive.
Karl
Thanks Karl, our Apple technician already tried cloning, but did not succeed. Same iMac policy.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
laszlonagy wrote:
Honestly, this is surprising to me that an office that has multiple ARCHICAD copies does not check whether the program will be compatible with their new choice of operating system.
Also, GRAPHISOFT has issued a warning as far back as last July, advising people not to update to MacOS X 10.11 El Capitan.
While upgrading an Application we always check its compatibility with older/existing O.S. and hardware, that is logical.
But While buying a new iMac, the OS comes inbuilt, there is no option to downgrade. And we may probably not check the compatibility with all the 10-15 Applications we are going to install and use. Because logically it should operate all functions of applications which the older OS was able to operate successfully.
Though this guess is not fullproof it is still logical.

If the company don't want their customers to suffer they should come forward with a paid hotfix for the 2nd last and 3rd last versions, thus they would not have to suffer with extra payload. After all We make rules for people's convenience , then why not make amendments to it for more convenience!

(We have never received any issued warning , was it sent through email?)

(However I don't know whether the bug is due to OS or Application)
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
Karl Ottenstein
dhaval7shah wrote:
Karl wrote:
Karl
Thanks Karl, our Apple technician already tried cloning, but did not succeed. Same iMac policy.
You're welcome. Sorry it didn't work, but not too surprising given the newer hardware.

One other possibility - at somewhat lower-than-native performance - is to run an older OS in a Virtual Machine (VM) on your new Mac. For example, Parallels Desktop 11 can create VMs of older Mac OS versions - without any hardware compatability because the Parallels virtualization takes care of that via virtual device drivers. I have an OS 10.7 Lion VM that I created just to test that it was easy. You can of course also run a MS Windows VM under Parallels on your new Mac and run old AC versions there.

I feel your pain.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB