BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Elevation Change Symbol

Anonymous
Not applicable
My apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I did see the "Any other not ArchiCAD related questions" subtitle so I thought that I'd ask here.

We are wondering what symbol convention other people are using for minor elevation changes and single steps. I used to work for an architect who liked the symbol in the attached image. I found it potentally confusing. What are other people using to indicate a minor elevation change or a single step?

Thank you,
John

elevation change.jpg
2 REPLIES 2
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
John:

I have been using the Level Dimensioning Tool for placing elevation markers in plan that are associated with the slab for that level, even for 1 step (6") changes. This ensures that the marker reads the correct height if the slab level changes, in keeping with the BIM philosophy. I agree that the marker you show is ambiguous (when I used this in my pre CAD days I would have put the hatching on the other side of the stepped line). I have not had a problem with the Level Dimensioning markers being misread in the field, but I know local practices may differ. Hope this helps.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
David wrote:
(when I used this in my pre CAD days I would have put the hatching on the other side of the stepped line).
Same here.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Learn and get certified!