BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Embarrassing question about creating a DWG document.

DaveOlufs
Participant
I am trying to create a DWG document of a drawing which includes a MODULE embed within the PLN file. Not to be stupid but I am... I have not been able to create this document without having hundreds of locked layers and then crashing upon closing.

I have a two building project that during the design development, I decided to building the second building within a separate file/module... if I'm saying this correctly. Doing so, I could have the module located on site adjacent to the other building. I theory, this makes sense and seemed to work.

Now I have to send DWGs to the other world AND I'm struggling big-time. Do I send a DWG of each building within it's own original file? I don't know, this seems so frickin' complicated.

Thank goodness, I live mostly with PDFs because I always send them along with the DWG to say, this is how it's suppose to look... not the DWG.

Totally frustrated... again.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only problems I've had with DWG export have been with hugely complex 3D models exceeding the memory limits of the add on. What you describe should work. I'm not sure what you mean by hundreds of locked layers.
DaveOlufs
Participant
Thanks Matthew for the reply...

For me it's a pretty complicated model incorporating (2)-10K SF buildings. One was pretty straight forward but had a lot of composite wall configurations.

The other was much more difficult with a variety of composite/custom walls, curtain walls, brackets, etc. It was mostly an exterior effort as the interior was only generally developed. Also, I had to create a fake overhead doors because I can't figure out how to incorporate an AC14 OH door... and then make it with windows in every section. So I installed what I consider a very unrealistic OH door trying to make it look like it's suppose to in the real world... then I created a curtain wall with windows to mimic the sectional parts of the door. It looked real in the renderings.

I don't want to try and replicate the DWG problems but the locked layers may have had to do with the MODULE that was included. The module was the more complicated of the 2 buildings. These locked layers could not be unlocked which meant I couldn't modify the DWG, nor could my engineer. The locked layers may have been colors... I don't remember. I use a very simple layering system trying to maintain the KISS principle and the locked layers were nothing that I ever created.

They were created in the conversion via SAVE-AS to a DWG and then also creating a DWG in the output navigator. After opening the DWGs again the AC, everything was locked and when I went to unlock things, the AC14 froze. This only happened 6 or 7 times before I faked it. Not sure what I did but I'm fully expecting a call saying they can't use the DWG file.

I've never had this problem before and felt one of the redeeming features of AC was it's conversion to DWG... which most anyone who uses ArchiCAD or any other software other than AutoCad, needs to be able to seamlessly and successfully convert their drawings for their consultants, designers, etc. to use.... Blah, Blah, Blah.

It was surprising and extremely frustrating. Now I'm seriously trying to figure out how to take my design to the next level of DDs and CDs. I hope I don't chicken out and revert back to my old tried and true software that's not AC... I would think with 6 previous years with AC5 thru AC6.5 and now 2 years with AC12 thru AC14, I'd be pretty good at this... but alas, I feel forced to do things the AC way and my output looks horrible... to me.

Sorry to ramble. I don't know if there's an answer for my DWG problem without trying to replicate my actions. Maybe I just went down the wrong path with the original buildings with modules, etc. I don't know.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Anonymous
Not applicable
What are the layer names it is creating? That might be a clue.
DaveOlufs
Participant
I believe they were all related to colors with a specific number code. When I opened the file to check things, the colors were mine. Numbers were 157, 158, ...
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Anonymous
Not applicable
This sounds like it may be a translator setting. Try using a different one and see if that helps. You can also look at the setting in detail. Layers created for colors seems like a "by layer" setting in AutoCAD.
DaveOlufs
Participant
I use the default settings. Since I don't understand AutoCad, I don't try to set anything. But of the hundreds of DWGs I've created, I've rarely had problems.

One thing I remember was my layer settings were not used or translated or transferred. When all the dust settles, I'm sure it's user error. Garbage in and out...
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Thomas Holm
Booster
DaveOlufs wrote:
I believe they were all related to colors with a specific number code. When I opened the file to check things, the colors were mine. Numbers were 157, 158, ...

You seem to be using a translator that uses the Set All Elements’ Colors and Lineweights to BYLAYER setting. TURN THAT OFF!

And if possible, use the Keep Pen Index Number translator. See http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=181672#181672
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Learn and get certified!