Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Error, can't open file

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having an issue everytime I try to open files from two specific projects. ArchiCAD runs through the library loading portion of the open, then displays this message:

Error while loading plan file!
Module: Attributes

The options are to Stop Loading or Ignore error and continue.

I have tried the ignore error and continue, but it always crashes out at some point.

Wanted to know if anyone had a way to recover a file from this state? Please help!
P.S. the file sizes are over 20MB. so it looks like there is data in the file.
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I haven't had this problem for some years but previously I have come across something similar.
I can't say this will work for sure but it sometimes did.

Open a file based on the same initial template as the one you can't open.
Now don't close this file but go to FILE > OPEN and select the file you can't open.
Make sure you do not select the "Start new instance of Archicad" option.
Open the file - of course the original file will need to close but this sometimes seems to reset some of the missing information.

If that doesn't work then all I can suggest is trying to merge the damaged file into a good one - again based on the same initial template if you can.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I fear it is a file corruption issue outside of ArchiCAD. I am now trying to recover an older version of the file to see if that may fix the issue.
Barry Kelly
In 17 and 18 there is an "Open & repair" option in the file open dialogue.
Never had need to use it so I don't know what it does.
Not sure if it is in older versions as I don't have them open at the moment.

Barry.
open_repair.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I did see that and also tried it, and when that failed, that's when I thought the issue may just be with a bad sector on the server that has corrupted these files. ArchiCAD went through the repair process, but came back with a single story blank plan when the original was a 6 story project. I have sent the file to Graphisoft, and they are trying to work it open in their tech support department. Lets hope they have more success incase I am not able to recover an older version off the server.