cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Setup & License forum

Favourites. Lost productivity

Anonymous
Not applicable
When you create a Favorites dataset consisting of beams and columns using profiles, loading Favorites becomes very slow. I created 800 types of rolling stock, but it became impossible to work in the program.
16 REPLIES 16

800 seems a bit much. That said, at that point you probably want to start sorting things in subfolders, because no-one wants to scroll through 800 items to find the one they need?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-24 NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Anonymous
Not applicable
The range of metal products includes 1 000 000 items. And I want them all at my disposal.
If ARCHICAD claims to be a BIM Manager, ARCHICAD must be optimized to work with large data sets.
ARCHICAD does not process favorites quickly. This is bad.
It tries to build an image of each profile in the preview. You must give the designer the ability to disable preview in certain favorite directories. This would be a good optimization solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
800 seems a bit much. That said, at that point you probably want to start sorting things in subfolders, because no-one wants to scroll through 800 items to find the one they need?
Sorting doesn't help. The Archicad algorithm is such that It still tries to load all the contents of the favorites into memory.
Even when I go into an empty Favorites folder, ARCHICAD thinks for about 1-2 minutes. It is impossible to work

Barry Kelly
Moderator
You can set your favourites palette to display 2D previews rather than 3D.
2D will generate faster than 3D.
Also try the list view rather than the larger icons - this may be a little faster as well.

Also set the palette to 'Filter to Active Tool Only' and 'Filter Folders Automatically' so you only see the favourites and folders that are applicable.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now the processor always processes all the information contained in the mass-data. Filters increase performance slightly by adjusting the display.
You must prevent the processor from processing unnecessary data (see attachment).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Noticed that the processor much load favorites based on complex profiles. For example-a round pipe with about 80 points. But another method of plotting radius curves GRAPHISOFT has not yet offered us

Anonymous
Not applicable
FYI. i'm having a similar issue. AC22 favorites worked at acceptable rate. AC23 they are unusably slow.

I see not difference in loading 2d vs. 3d previews. Both crawl.

Anonymous
Not applicable
TISSOT_1853 wrote:
When you create a Favorites dataset consisting of beams and columns using profiles, loading Favorites becomes very slow. I created 800 types of rolling stock, but it became impossible to work in the program.
You can set your favourites palette to display 2D previews rather than 3D.
2D will generate faster than 3D.

Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
TISSOT_1853 wrote:
Noticed that the processor much load favorites based on complex profiles. For example-a round pipe with about 80 points. But another method of plotting radius curves GRAPHISOFT has not yet offered us
Hi,

Thank you for sharing this with us and everyone else. We have added a wish into our database to address this. Its reference number is Wish #12586.

Hopefully, it will be implemented in the future.

If you happen to be using these pipes vertically, perhaps using columns where the core is let's say Air and the Veneer can be something else, then this would offer you the ability to modify them in a parametric way.
Sadly, this option does not apply for beams.
If you happen to have MEP modeler, I would suggest using it as it can achieve a similar result.

We have added a wish to allow Veneers to be applied to beams as well just to be thorough, and it can prove to be a good feature.

Till then, I wish you all a happy new year and a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

rjwilden
Contributor
We have just had hot fix 4006 and this problem of favourites loading slow is still there.
If I haven't used a FAV selection for a while it has to load them all again.
How about putting a bit of urgency on this one.
Is everyone experiencing this slow load up of favourites.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Moderator
Graphisoft Moderator
Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am sorry about the experience!

There are various things that can contribute to the slowness of the Favorites loading. I am wondering if you can describe a bit more specific about what is the exact problem that is happening, and how do you find the performance comparing to AC22?

If it's possible, I would like to take a look at a sample file from you in order to experience the issue myself and investigate further. Let me know here or by PM if you'll need a secure link to send the file to.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

rjwilden
Contributor
mnguyen wrote:
Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am sorry about the experience!

There are various things that can contribute to the slowness of the Favorites loading. I am wondering if you can describe a bit more specific about what is the exact problem that is happening, and how do you find the performance comparing to AC22?

If it's possible, I would like to take a look at a sample file from you in order to experience the issue myself and investigate further. Let me know here or by PM if you'll need a secure link to send the file to.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh


Hi Minh

V22 works just as expected, the Fav elements show up with no lag. 3D and 2D
V23 shows lag in 2D and 3D, in the Fav pallet, and the quick selection in the tool bar.
The lag also occurs in my template files well as my current project file
I am attaching a recordit animation link that shows what is happening.
How do I send you a link to my project file.

Thanks Richard

https://recordit.co/oD2tIdgpt0
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Moderator
Graphisoft Moderator
Hi Richard,

I have sent you a link via Private Message where you can drop the file to!

My first thought is, due to the complexity of the fills, it might take a few seconds for the system to generate previews for the favorite items. But, since you mentioned that there was no issue with AC22, there might be a problem with AC23 here.

Let me know once you have finished uploading the file. Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
This link shares imo the same issue:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=66023

my problem is that AC after input of the the first letter of a search term (E.g. „wall“) immediately interrupts the input and lists all Favorites containing a W. then the next letter A and again AC shows all Favorites with WA. And so on.

Maybe the listing could be faster (don’t know v22 speed) but the missing time to complete a word before AC starts searching (or the problem that you cant Continue writing while AC searches) seems the main issue to me.

The speed difference between 2d and 3d is a minor one.

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Moderator
Graphisoft Moderator
Smithy wrote:
This link shares imo the same issue:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=66023

my problem is that AC after input of the the first letter of a search term (E.g. „wall“) immediately interrupts the input and lists all Favorites containing a W. then the next letter A and again AC shows all Favorites with WA. And so on.

Maybe the listing could be faster (don’t know v22 speed) but the missing time to complete a word before AC starts searching (or the problem that you cant Continue writing while AC searches) seems the main issue to me.

The speed difference between 2d and 3d is a minor one.
Hi,

Thank you for your report!

This issue is recorded in our system. But unfortunately, we are still figuring out how to properly improve the speed without losing accuracy. The issue is caused by the fact that, as soon as you type a character in the search field, it triggers a search for any element that contains this character. The circle repeats when you enter another one. Although this should ensure that you will not miss any results, it will affect the performance heavily if you have a large collection of favorites.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this issue. But rest assure that performance is what we want to improve in every ARCHICAD release. I hope that our developers will have a solution soon!

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The "Search" field should use a definable Auto-Update Delay like the one you can set in the Work Environment Dialog for Dialog Boxes (Work Environment Dialog > Dialog Boxes and Palette page.)
....................................................................................................
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!