Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

File association conflict .prf used by X-Plane 11 Steam now has associations with ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
X-Plane ceased to run after ArchiCAD was loaded. X-Plane 11 creates preference files with .prf extensions and apparently so does ArchiCAD. X-Plane techs say the other program must go. Any workarounds? Windows 10 Pro environment.
2 REPLIES 2
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
That's an odd response from the developer. The association between extensions and applications has more to do with default behaviour than 'control', i.e. the fact that an application is associated with an extension doesn't mean other applications are prevented from accessing it. For example, if '.doc' is associated with MS Word, I can still open that file with LibreOffice or any other compatible application.

The fact that these files are displayed with a different icon in no way prevents X-Plane from using them.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Barry Kelly
Ralph wrote:
The fact that these files are displayed with a different icon in no way prevents X-Plane from using them.
And in the off chance that it does, re-associate them with X-plane and Archicad should still run happily.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11