Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Five Button Mouse

Srinivas
Booster
Hi All,

Did any one use a Five Button mouse with ArchiCAD? Will that improve the productivity with easy access to more shortcuts and more menu options?

Thanks in advance,
Srinivas.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have tried multi-button mice and not liked them. I find two buttons with a scroll to be quite sufficient. I also like the solid feel of a well built mouse. The multi-button ones I have tried felt creaky and flimsy.
Rod Jurich
Contributor
I have been a Kensington rodent 5 button user for some years with great success. It is not available any more.
Just purchased a Logitech® MX™ Revolution
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=12134

The default drivers are limited and decided to remove and use USB Overdrive
and the beauty of being able to program 9 buttons to do the following is great.
  • Mouse Click
    Right Click
    Middle Click - Pan
    Enter
    Command+Enter
    Cut
    Copy
    Paste
    Undo
Couple this with a new mouse pad from TDE Systems which is about 1mm thick.
It feel as though it is floating, exceptionally light for a cordless rodent.
And for ML's info very solid production.

The scroll wheel has 2 settings, smooth and with ratchet. The smooth make zooming in AC such a breeze now.
The scroll wheel on a Mac does not have a button function.
For any 12hr/day power user I can highly recommend.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Srinivas
Booster
Thanks Mathew and Rod.

I think I need to buy the new Logitech MX Revolution as I work morethan 12hrs on ArchiCAD.

Thanks again
Srinivas
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
Chazz
Enthusiast
Matthew wrote:
I have tried multi-button mice and not liked them. I find two buttons with a scroll to be quite sufficient
My own experience is very different. If someone made a reasonable 10 button mouse, I'd use it. More buttons=more goodness.

I have found customizing and using multi-button mice to be a major productivity improver. Yes, some practice and "muscle memory" training is required but the payoffs can be significant. I currently use a Logitech MX518 and love it.

I recently gave up a cordless mouse (another Logitech, rather expensive) and am glad to be rid of it. I really hate cordless mice. They are all too heavy and the blasted things eat through batteries (you really have to remember to charge it nightly). I also abandoned a wireless keyboard at the same time. They are idiotic things --who needs a wireless keyboard?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
My favorite right now is the Apple Mighty Mouse cordless. I like the design, feel and heft of it, and the batteries last for weeks. It is working just fine in Windows now too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot imagine working with a 3-button mouse any more! I use a Logitech Cordless Click! Plus mouse with 6 buttons and a side-tilt-scroll. The only shortcoming it has is that you cannot reprogram the right button, which was possible with my previous Logitech mouse.

Of course I hate it that cordless mice grew bigger. They become rats! It took me a month to get accustomed to it and I still miss my small old mouse!

To Chaz: I use common rechargeable batteries and I charge them once in a week. This is for about 10 hours a day work every day.

as for the cordless keyboard - two months ago I got a new cordless Cherry eVolution Stingray keyboard and I am never going back to cable again!

For battery freaks I reccomend the Cherry solar-powered keyboard - I had one and it really worked!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use a logitech mx1000
logitech setpoint software can be a little limited, the uberOption mod adds a heap more features.
http://www.mstarmetro.net/~rlowens/
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the Uberoption site, Danj! I'll give it a try!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Alas, the Uberoption still does not allow to assign a different function to the right button. It only allows for swapping buttons.

Does anyone know a way to assign a function to the right button as it had been with the Logitech older mice?