BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Floor Joists and Gang Studs

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have slab that is set up as a composite structure, 2x12 + 3/4 plywood. Is there a way to show the joists in 3-DA Wireframe view? Also there are a few places along the partition walls where I want to show gang studs for vertical structural support. What tool would be the best for doing this?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
__archiben
Booster
techinstructor wrote:
Is there a way to show the joists in 3-DA Wireframe view?
there is: model them. i use complex profile beams for this under the method described here. the wireframe/solid visibility is controlled in the layer settings: set the layers you require to be wire-framed using the shade/wireframe toggle for results much like the attached image (but in your case in reverse?).
Also there are a few places along the partition walls where I want to show gang studs for vertical structural support. What tool would be the best for doing this?
do you want to show them just in 2D or in the model as well? there are framing tools that will model these for you and there are 2D objects available to draw over the top of the walls in order to recreate stud spacing for the drawings.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
As Ben suggests, I would model them. If you are saying that you have a fill pattern in the joist area of your composite and want that to display in a hidden line 3D view ... that is impossible until 12. In 12, the new 3D Document will show all composite or complex profiled skins and fills which are cut.

As to the ganged studs, you can model with the column tool (ordinary, or complex profile) if they will ever show up in 3D, or you can just use 2D library parts as 'stamps' to place them where required. Since you're in the US, you have the DET_Lumber 11 object available under 01 General 11 > Detailer Library 11 > Wood 11. You can set this part to draw a double member as shown below, or just snap as many together as required.

HTH,
Karl
Picture 2.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!