BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Font error in AC9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is anyone else's AC9 showing certain fonts incorrectly ?
Fonts such as USA Black, Playwright, Avalon & Technical (that appear correctly in AC 8.1) are showing up as completely illegible.
When you click on them to edit, the text editing window shows them back in their correct form, but they revert back to being incomprehensible when you click out... Weird
I opened a new blank project and tested out the fonts to make sure it isn't just a "Started in 8.1, worked on in 9.0" kind of bug, and the problem occurs in a new 9.0 job also...
16 REPLIES 16
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Justin,

I hadn't seen this with fonts per se, but have seen it with particular Unicode symbols - correct in edit mode, garbage otherwise. Have also had problems with a symbol font (Mr Hand) being legible in AC, but when pasted externally it became garbage.

Is this an old project being brought into 9? If you type fresh text in that font in 9 is it OK? Is 'Western' the chosen character set? Can't think of anything else to check off the top of my head...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Is this an old project being brought into 9?
If you type fresh text in that font in 9 is it OK?
Is 'Western' the chosen character set?
Can't think of anything else to check off the top of my head...

Karl
Yes, that is correct...
No, not even on a clean new project, will that font appear correctly.
Yep, & nothing else has changed from how it was written previously, except the version of AC !
Me neither, that's why I asked !!!

Thx anyway, anyone else have the same problem ???
BTW, it's not just me, other's here have the same issue...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Is the font name enclosed in parentheses? If it appears like in my attachment, then that signifies the font was previously loaded on a different OS and is now being used on the other OS. Specifically Mac OS and Windows.

That's the only time I have seen this error - when switching between mac & windows.

Other than that, you are sure the font is still loaded right?

Cheers,
Link.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Actually I do remember Jay Rennemeyer having a font mapping problem on different machines on his network. It may be worth asking him about it if you think it's similar to your problem in any way?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Still nup,
No parentheses, have been on Win from day dot, everything's been a standard install & nothing is any different from when using 8.1...
It's just real weird that it appears correctly when using the text editing tool, then reverts to garbage when you click out...
Anyway, I've been PM'd by an Archidude, so hopefully the cavalry has arrived !
Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like you may have opengl enabled in 2d. I'm not in front of AC at the moment but there is a setting for this in Work Environment. There are different redraw options for fonts when opengl is enabled. The one that redraws text the fastest is also the worst looking (less smooth).

If you do have this enabled I would recommend disabling it. You might expect that opengl in 2d would be faster to display but it actually is slower in my experience.

cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
Eric,
I had a brief suspicion you were right, but unfortunately, no luck
OpenGL is not enabled, & even toggling it on & playing with the different view options makes no difference...
I remember trying it out, but even with my 256mb Quadro FX3400, there's still some glitches with using OpenGL...

Stumped...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shooting in the dark....try a New & Reset and then open your file again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish it was that easy...

Thx!
Learn and get certified!