Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Font issues with ArchiCAD 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. I am having a funny issue with a true type font in ArchiCAD 14 not wanting to Bold. In version 13, everything worked well with this font, including the Bold and Italics feature, but when i open this file in version 14, neither the Bold nor Italics features are working with the same font.

Does anyone have an answer to this issue?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
What font?
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is a font a co-worker created, but I noticed the same problem with fonts like Century, Geneva and Monaco to name a few.
Barry Kelly
What OS are you on.
No problem here with those fonts on Windows 7.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am running a Mac OS 10.6.6. I did not have these issues with ArchiCAD 13 on the same OS.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
I am seeing the same behavior on OSX.5: in AC 14 the bold and italic styles are only available if shown as part of a font family in a sub menu, the style buttons don't work. AC 13 doesn't use the sub menus, but the style buttons work on any font.

hnorman:
You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David: thanks for the suggestion. My profile has been updated.

So it appears there is nothing we can do regarding the fonts on version 14? Does anyone know how to work around the problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
hnorman wrote:
David: thanks for the suggestion. My profile has been updated.

So it appears there is nothing we can do regarding the fonts on version 14? Does anyone know how to work around the problem?
You could get the full type family. Then you will have bold, italic, bold italic, and perhaps letter, book, roman, light, condensed, black, demi-bold, etc (depending on the typeface).

This may be part of Apple's push to using proper letter forms. Even though they invented it (AFAIK) back in the eighties, it seems they are moving away from procedural type variations. I wouldn't be surprised if this is deprecated in Snow Leopard. GS may just be following Apple's rules.
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Up to ArchiCAD 13 (which was a Carbon application) ArchiCAD used the "ATSUI" font engine, similarly (I think) to MS Word on Mac. ArchiCAD 14 (which is a Cocoa application) uses the newer "CoreText" engine, similar to TextEdit and basically all newer Mac apps. CoreText - as Matthew correctly guessed it - does not support "procedural" or "algorithmic" fonts (Fonts that have no separate typeface for bold or italic - it was the Text Engine that generated those by "distorting" the normal typeface).

When in doubt if a Font problem is caused by ArchiCAD 14, check the Font in TextEdit. If the same problem appears there, then it's a Font problem. If a Font works well in TextEdit, but not in ArchiCAD, then maybe it's ArchiCAD's fault.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft