BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Fullscreen Mode Mac - Archicad 16

archislave
Enthusiast
Yes, Folks! I have been writing about this since 2006 when I first used Archicad on Mac. I was struck by the fact that Archicad was a loose colleciton of the icon bar and project navigator. They only loosely stick together and do not form a unified monolithic window like on Windows or other Mac OSX apps from Apple. To me this was a left over mode from OS9 classic.

Well, here we are waiting on v16 all these years later and Graphisoft still has not taken the time to update the UI after ten years of OSX. Full screen apps are now required by OS X Liion to be fully compliant.

I think Graphisoft will have egg and rotten tomatoes all over their faces if they do not give use a new gui in Archicad 16.
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
25 REPLIES 25
Mario Sacco
Expert
I would like also move windows out-side the main window, for example in other monitor with a different resolution. Tile the windows could be an other god thing.
MacBook M1 Max 64GB- OS X 12.2.1 - Archicad 27
https://www.archiradar.it/en/
archislave
Enthusiast
Graphisoft is soo far behind on User Interface Design that is really really sad! There are so many new clean modern UI designs. I'm getting tired of the 1992 look.
Archislave

Christiaan
Participant
What's such a shame about this situation is that Archicad is the premier BIM app. And there's a Mac version. But the Mac version is an abomination.

Why have a Mac version if it's just going to be a tired clone of the Windows version?

Graphisoft should take a feather out of the cap of Autodesk on this and take note of what they've done with Autocad for Mac, before it's too late and they release a nice Mac native version of Revit too.
archislave
Enthusiast
If I don't see a major rebuild in v16 then I think I will just run Revit on my Mac via Parallels. I recently emailed the original developer of Revit that sold it to Autodesk. He runs Revit on a Mac this way and said it was great. He is now creating some new software to link models from different software - It is called Veo. I think Autodesk will eventually have a Mac version or it will be rewritten in a more open base as the new windows Metro apps will require this anyway.
Archislave

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agreed that the ArchiCAD UI does not leverage either OS native strengths - however metro/ios'd mac os might just force a change...but I doubt it. GS is too small to develop two tailored UIs.
I think what will really drive users away is the lack of a 'core' update - that can handle true 3d modelling - but that's been covered in lots of other threads.
As for REVIT there are lots of reasons I would move, but their UI is definitively one I would not move for - It's like being inside an enormous excel spreadsheet! I don't mind the ribbon but the dialogues are what turn me off..
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think they should definitely update the UI (Autocad for Mac is a great example). Not sure if I agree with the Ribbon style of UI though, very Microsoft office feeling 😉
archislave
Enthusiast
Well it looks lie we still have the same GUI from 2005 and no fullscreen feature for Lion. So very sad ... I am moving to Revit. At least windows 8 will look better in my Parallels partition.
Archislave

Anonymous
Not applicable
archislave wrote:
Well it looks lie we still have the same GUI from 2005 and no fullscreen feature for Lion. So very sad ... I am moving to Revit. At least windows 8 will look better in my Parallels partition.
Good luck to you. I didn't enjoy designing in it at all. Maybe some do.
archislave wrote:
You're complaining about the ArchiCAD GUI as being outdated and you're under the impression that you'll get a better experience in Revit?

Seriously?

Have you ever used Revit?
Learn and get certified!