BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ghost Story / Virtual Trace / ?

DataChris
Booster
So ghost story became virtual trace (or whatever it's called now) but in my copy of AC it doesn't exist anywhere in any form. I've read some references about it not appearing if you've imported your own work environment but digging into all the available commands I still can find it.

Can someone please provide detail instructions on how to turn this back on?

Also is there still a way to save a view to navigator without placing it on a layout?
Design loving, technology geek. USA
Archicad (v25) - MacOS (14.2) - MacbookPro (M1Pro)
18 REPLIES 18
Erich
Contributor
You can turn on the Trace and Reference Pallet via the Window Menu - Pallets - Trace and Reference.

Also , in your view map right click on the view you want to reference. There is a pop up menu that will allow you to use that view as a trace reference.

Finally, look at page 117 (US Version) of the ArchiCAD 11 Reference Guide located under the Help menu.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
If you'd like to invoke it in your work Environment, list your Commands by Theme. Trace & Reference commands are listed under number 15.

Views can be made by opening your Organizer and dragging the viewpoint from the Project Map to the View Map. This is the way all views should be made IMHO.

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
Also , in your view map right click on the view you want to reference. There is a pop up menu that will allow you to use that view as a trace reference.
Not just views - but also viewpoints and layouts. All can be trace references.

A viewpoint as a trace reference will use the same layer combination, model view options etc as the active view. Working on a story and using another story viewpoint as the trace reference is the same as the old ghost story feature.

A view as reference will use its own stored settings - layers, view options, scale, etc.

A layout as reference will use the layer combo that was last active in layoutbook mode.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
DataChris
Booster
Trace did not exist in any form under any menu or work preference etc etc etc. The only way to have it appear was to apply all the default AC11 work environments and then manually update them with my shortcuts etc.

Graphisoft needs to get it's act together on changes like this. There should at the very least be references in the help between ghost/trace and more importantly a way for updates to be visible regardless of which work environment is set.

BUT thanks for all your help guys
DataChris wrote:
Graphisoft needs to get it's act together on changes like this.
GS needs to get its act together on a number of things, but this is not one of them. If you had done a search in the Help menu on "Trace" you would have found exactly what you needed. Further, if you need to find or add something in a menu, use the attached. You also could have used the Palettes DBX to bring up the one for Trace. Perhaps a little training would be useful? Many resellers have specific AC10 to AC11 upgrade training.
Trace.jpg
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Thomas Holm
Booster
DataChris wrote:
Trace did not exist in any form under any menu or work preference etc etc etc. The only way to have it appear was to apply all the default AC11 work environments and then manually update them with my shortcuts etc.
Of course! You can hardly expect your customized WE (work environment) transferred from the previous version to suddenly magically contain all the new features of a new program version!

If you want access to new features, that is precisely what you'll have to do each time - start from a new default and customize it. Or use your WE and add the new features manually. IMHO the first method is easier and lets you start trying out new features as they were conceived. This is important if you want to utilize the program's potential fully.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
DataChris
Booster
Richard, I performed that search. NOTHING came up. There was absolutely no reference to trace in any form through any menu, help screen, search, etc. etc. Again the only way to get them back was to reset the defaults.

I would've simply added them to my work environment if it were possible but they did NOT exist.
__archiben
Booster
DataChris wrote:
Richard, I performed that search. NOTHING came up. There was absolutely no reference to trace in any form through any menu, help screen, search, etc. etc. Again the only way to get them back was to reset the defaults.

I would've simply added them to my work environment if it were possible but they did NOT exist.
they didn't exist in 10 because it is a new 11 feature. they do exist in 11 regardless of whether your WE has them enabled. you just needed to do as link suggested. when you import your 10 work environment for the first launch archicad tells you that there could be missing commands if you choose to proceed along that path.

sorry man, this one's your problem not graphisoft's.
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
DataChris
Booster
archiben wrote:
...they do exist in 11 regardless of whether your WE has them enabled. You just needed to do as link suggested.

I don't know how else to state it but they DID NOT EXIST in my copy of 11 in any form. Period.

I don't know if it's a bug or just some tweaked out reality on my installation/mac/etc but they did NOT EXIST in any form and could not be added without resetting the defaults.
Learn and get certified!