Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Gimp printing in Panther

Anonymous
Not applicable
We upgraded three computers to panther. One computer, 800 hz G4 was just updated, not a clean install and Gimp print works on our Epson 3000. One computer was brand new, 1.25Ghz G4 was just updated, but never had gimp print installed before - we can not make gimp print work on the Epson 3000. The third computer was another 800hz G4 that seemed to be having some system problems so we did a clean install - we can not print to the Epson 3000.
We have installed Gimp print 4.3.18 & ghost print, no go, We unistalled Gimp print 4.3.18, installed Gimp print 4.2.5 and ghost print, used the hacked epson 3000 PPD, no go.
We checked the atlookup in the terminal app, and believe that we are getting the correct address. The Epson is on an ethernet network, with an apple talk adapter. Why can I make it work on one computer and not on another? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Wish now we would have left panther in his cage. BTW, we were upgrading from OS X 10.2.8.
15 REPLIES 15
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Did you try pinging the address that you think is correct?
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
__archiben
Booster
panther comes with gimp print as a part of the installation...

(click for panther features check)

check that you are not installing an older version of gimp print that conflicts with the panther install?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Posted by Dave Jochum; Did you try pinging the address that you think is correct?

Dave; I guess I don't know how to ping and address. Thought that was only good for ftp. If possible could you please explain.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Posted by Ben; panther comes with gimp print as a part of the installation...

(click for panther features check)

check that you are not installing an older version of gimp print that conflicts with the panther install?

Ben; I searched the harddrive and only found the gimp print that I installed. Does apple hide this some how. If not then the only gimp print on this machine is the one I installed.
__archiben
Booster
i haven't got hold of a copy of 10.3 yet, however the CUPS/Ghostscript/GimpPrint stuff are all hidden unix printer features, i think, that work behind the scenes. this is from the install notes from gimp-print 4.2.5 for 10.2:
Gimp wrote:
What files are installed by the Gimp-Print installer for Jaguar and Darwin? Where are they installed?

"The Gimp-Print drivers for CUPS, and the required PPD files." That's the short answer to the first question. The long answer is that a lot of files are installed into the (typically) hidden BSD unix layer of Jaguar
i was under the impression that apple had incorporated it into the whole 10.3 bundle.

you could always try uninstalling gimp-print on the machines that aren't working and re-install it again. the 'how to' is also in the release notes...

hth

/~archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Pinging a network address just lets you know that the address is valid and functional. If you ping with the printer's supposed address and there is no response, you know you do not have the correct address or your network connection is faulty. To ping use the Network Utility--path: Applications | Utilities | Network Utility--and choose the "Ping" tab
Dave Jochum
Dave Jochum
Advocate
The GimpPrint guys are very helpful. Search the Help Forum at http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=4359 for similar posts. If nothing there, post a question. BTW, GimpPrint and GhostScript do indeed install in hidden folders.
Dave Jochum
aahatimo
Newcomer
"Dr Lau" wrote:
Posted by Dave Jochum; Did you try pinging the address that you think is correct?

an alternative to pinging is to put the ip address into your browser. this is also how card setup is done, on my hp jet direct card anyway.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for your input. What we did was hire a guy @ $75.00 per hour. He could not get the printer to work, no way, no how. That was until he remembered printer sharing. Since the epson 3000 still worked on the G4 that we just updated, (not a clean install) we turned on printer sharing on that computer and now all of our computers can print to the 3000 by selecting shared printers in the print dialog box. Not very elegant, doesn't really explain why we can't get it to work, but it does work. Will watch for Panter updates and hopefully these problems will be addressed with 10.3.1.