Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Graphic Card Update / Quadro vs GTX

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone !

We would like to upgrade our graphic cards at the office, and I am a bit confused between the so-called professional graphic cards (Nvidia Quadro) and the "gaming" card GTX series.

We work with both interior design projects and mid-sized housing projects. The renderings we are doing are made in blender (GPU rendering), with an IFC export from Archicad. From the renderings perspective the GTX seems a much better deal. (https://opendata.blender.org/).

With a budget of around €600 we could afford a GTX 3070 or a Quadro P2200. But the Quadro falls far behind for renderings.

What are the advantages of using a Quadro over a GTX ? Are they worth the price difference ?

Thank you,
6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Advantages would typically be: better handling of high number of polygons in 3D. More robust build quality and probably longer warranty as a result.

If you are looking for the most for your money the gaming card will win, since they are typically more affordable. If you are looking to use it for many years, you will probably find longer hardware support for the Quadro.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
Hi Adrien,

I found this thread during a search for exporting to Blender and saw that you had experience working with ArchiCAD models in Blender.

What are your export settings and are there any add-ons in blender that are useful for the importing and/or cleanup of the model?
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Barry Kelly
MMontgomery wrote:
Hi Adrien,

I found this thread during a search for exporting to Blender and saw that you had experience working with ArchiCAD models in Blender.

What are your export settings and are there any add-ons in blender that are useful for the importing and/or cleanup of the model?

MMontgomery,
It might be best to Private Message Adrien.
Just click on his user name and you should see a Privat Message button (looks like a speech bubble).

That way Adrien will get an e-mail from you - just in case he doesn't check back here, and this topic won't get sidetracked into something else that should be in a new topic.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
KeesW
Advocate

Go for an NVidia RTX rather than GTX,

Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU

@KeesW wrote:

Go for an NVidia RTX rather than GTX,

If you buy a GeForce 2000-series or 3000-series card, it will be an RTX card (raytracing supported by the hardware). If you buy a 1660, that will be a GTX, which does not support raytracing. Everything before the 2000-series does not support raytracing.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lingwisyer
Guru

Technically, that is only raytracing utilising dedicated raytracing cores, which your programs may not be able to utilise it the first place...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660