Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Graphics card, New office Help?

henrybs14
Participant
Hi Guys

Could I please get some 2nd opinions on the Graphics card in the computer in my new office.

I've been speaking to my new manger about this card, and his IT man is saying this is the recommended card.
But honestly I can't find anything close to this graphics card unless I go back to archciad 18 recommended cards.

So the computer has a Radeon R7 200 Series Card (Can't seem to find a model number at all)
Archicad 18 recommends a R7 260x at the lowest point, But archicad 20 only suggests the R9 sereis.

Personally I've never used Radeon, but when I've used nvida gaming cards they just don't work in archicad.
Which is why I think I should be using a work station card not a gaming card.

Maybe people could give their experiences with gaming cards and their opinion on the level of this card in this computer? That way I can show this to the IT man and my manager.
I've mentioned that the computer is lagging, but I'm been told oh it might be something else other than the GPU, (I find this hard to believe)

Thank you
Matthew

P.S. Working in AC20, move to ac21 when it comes out.
5 REPLIES 5
henrybs14
Participant
GPU attached
Anonymous
Not applicable
Trust me! Workstation cards do not work much better comparing to gaming Nvidia cards. For ArchiCAD just take any gaming card witn 4+GB RAM.
My W8100 card is not working much faster comparing to GTX 670 in another machine in office. Just a little faster with huge models.
alemanda
Advocate
I decided to mount a NVIDIA Quadro K620 reading about it in the forum as best compromise between PRO and gaming cards ... so far it is perfect. With my previous machine I had a gtx660 and worked quite smootlhy as well ...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
This is useful information for those who haven seen it yet.
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/video-cards/recommended-video-cards-for-archicad-21/#Lar...

I have had the NVIDIA P5000 now long enough to test it out and it is everything I hoped it would be and then some.

I don't know what is impacting how ArchiCAD works most, the card, the Xeon processor, or the 64GB of RAM, but ArchiCAD looks fantastic on my laptop.

this is a screen shot video capture does not do it justice but the 3D window is as fast as you can wiggle your mouse. This is over 150,000 polygons. https://www.screencast.com/t/0ct5etjpD
If you don't have a fast internet it may buffer on you but it was super fast and smooth on my screen.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I just ditched my windows machine and got a mac. I've never been more satisfied with working in 3d. And I had an nvidia 970m in my laptop.