BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Graphics card display problems nVidia 6800

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Dell nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB PCI-X graphics card and when generating the 3D window in AC9 parts of the image are missing. It's often a different part in a horizontal strip. Occassionally the whole image displays, but it's rare. I'm running nVidia drivers version 7.1.8.9 which are fairly new.

Anybody else have this problem and know how to fix it. Very annoying when you spend alot on a new PC and fancy card for it not to work.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Parts of the image are missing here too, but as soon as i place the mouse within the 3d window and zoom in or out it refreshes and redraws a complete 3d window.
Could you post a screen shot of your problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's a screen shot of the problem. I'm sure it lies with the card and not AC9 a switching between windows causes the complete image to refresh and appear.
Anonymous
Not applicable
PAC:
I too have the 6800 256mb (AGP) and noticed the same problem from time to time.
It's gotta be a Nvidia-AC9 compatibility thing .
Anonymous
Not applicable
So what's the answer? I checked the nVidia drivers and I have the latest 71.89 drivers. Should I lodge a bug report with nVidia or ArchiCAD?
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, thought I'd try installing an older video driver to see what happens.
Through Dell's support web I downloaded and installed version 66.84 nVidia drivers and hey presto the problem seems to have fixed itself.

I'll reserve final judgement for a few more days, but after 10-15 3D window generations, it didn't miss one!

So far there doesn't seem to be any other detrimental effect of running an old driver either.

Fingers crossed.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you ever fix the problem with GeForce Card? I've been having the same problem. I'm using nVidia 6600. Please advice.
Karl Ottenstein
Sorry that I missed this thread. Ed Brown of GS Tech Support gave me the solution when I recently encountered this problem. Open your nVidia settings (via display options) and turn OFF Vertical Synch. All should be fine then.

This is not a GS workaround... it is a problem (IMHO) in the default settings of the nVidia drivers. If you look at the delivered nVidia profiles for running a slew of computer games, they have this setting turned off for most (all?) of them.

Also ... check the Graphics Card database ... these things are discussed there, too. 😉

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/compatibility.php?

(The link above is at the bottom of the forum list on the main ac-talk index page.)

Hope this solves it for you - worked for me. (Thanks again, Ed.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!