Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Graphisoft North America Price Increase for 2023

poco2013
Mentor

Just got a notice of a price increase for North America  subscriptions - However, will not affect SSA as of now. I am not a conspiracy nut but I find it very curious that many architect software companies are raising prices roughly the same and at the same time???

Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
30 REPLIES 30
DGSketcher
Legend

That's hard to justify considering what we have received for the last three years.

Beginning to wonder what we are paying for...

Corporate greed

A low return on the misguided development costs for SAM

Exponential software development costs trying to maintain inefficient, complex and potentially redundant workflows

Fixing a stream of bugs eating resources because they lost control of the software & release code without checks, consultation or listening to beta testers.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

We are basically SOL.

Reading material

https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/#hey-guys

and the corporate greed example

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/01/24/how-the-friedman-doctrine-leads-to-the-enshittification-of-all-t...

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

_c_
Enthusiast

Same for Vectorworks.

We had hardware dongles (some of us, like me, since decades) and a -compulsory- SSL. Last year in order to download the PAID update we had to give up the dongle. People complained rather loudly. I sold immediately and am so happy I did, because....

In January of this year on a short notice (see here) they not only removed the permanent licences, but also made them unsellable.

Then they blocked all users who complained. That's how it's done there.

_c_

And Vectorworks and ArchiCAD are both owned by whom? Yup...!

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Aiden Potter
Participant

I to received a notification from Graphisoft about a price increase on my Solo subscription - a 38% price increase! As much as I like using Archicad, I don't like it that much...time to look at migrating to another option.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz, RAM 64.0 GB, NVIDIA RTX A4000
Rick Thompson
Expert

Just got of the phone with a rep.  What a sinking feeling with no where to go.  He basically acknowledge that while it is not talked about in house (supposedly), it's just a matter of time before perpetual is all but over and we will have no choice but a monthly/yearly huge fee.  As he said, Revit closed that door 2 years ago and everyone is going that direction.  I am married, like it or not, to AC since I have a royalty based business and to migrate 300 plans (plus basement versions etc is enough for me to sell the business and ride off into the sunset. Unfortunately I still really like what I do.  

So I will not bother to pay into SSA anymore since it probably want get me anything but another buggy release that didn't help me any mat all.  Just painful transitions.  I should be good for 6 or more years with 26 and silicon, then then call it a lifetime.

Seems they make a feature with moving a button from the left to the right anymore.  What a pain in the butt.  I thought I could down grade to Solo, but guess what... they won't do that.  I'd have to pay $5000 to downgrade.  GS has died in my book.  

Best wishes with your licensing endeavors.

Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
jl_lt
Ace

I guess they will lose for the very least, all the latin american, african and many asian markets, except maybe for the big offices that actually use archicad.

They should understand they compete with revit by offering an opposite alternative.  If they begin to behave like autodesk, and most importantly, charge money like autodesk, in a market that almost forces You to use revit, then the risk we took by choosing archicad will not be worth it, because as much as i love archicad, it really DOES lack many options revit has.  Up until now, being cheaper is definitely a value added that counterbalances bugginess and some perceived lack of features which many of us dont need. But if they want to increase price and most importantly, cancel perpetual licensing, while offering the same current product, they will be up for a hard reality check.

But as i said before, its their business, so they have all the right to do stupid things, be short sighted and burn it to the ground.

Another possibility is that a new technology is coming that will render current software obsolete, so they all will try to squeeze as much money as they can while they can 

I understand that Graphisoft is following the evolution of its direct competitor, but it's most important to stand out by developing and promoting the ArchiCAD's strengths.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
_c_
Enthusiast

At the moment, most Vectorworks users are seriously thinking where to go. The prices are increasing, while, at the same time, nothing gets resolved of what long-term users complains about. Since decades. The level of dissatisfaction is sky high. 

I worked with Revit, Vectorworks and now Archicad. Everywhere there are complaints. But nothing comes even close to the level of dissatisfaction you observe among Vectorworks users.

Vectorworks used to be the best app for the price. It has an outstanding core, amazing engineers, a strong and generous community, but the development is now purely marketing-driven: the "New Features" list. Lure new users somehow (who'll want to leave soon enough).

Whatever Revit has, Vectorworks emulates.

... And nothing really works without the most acrobatic workarounds.

Used to be the simplest CAD? Now it's certainly the most complex for anything outside the 2D core, which stays unparalleled, I must add.

_c_
Thm88ch
Beginner

In Switzerland its now at 7500chf (8500dollars) for Archicad 26

+ Keymember Subscription 1588chf (each year) - 9088 chf ( 10402 Dollars!!)