BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

HP Designjet 500 Vs Hp designjet 130

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these machines?

Well the hp500 series costs about $1500 more than hp130 series.....

i wouldn't have a problem with the extra cost if i'd see a higher quality b/w & colour print & speed benefit.......

I'm a one man design & draft operation, printing mostly A1 size
( some A3 size, if plan size allows). As a one man operation,
not a high stream of output.

I like to incorporate quality coloured renderings & coloured elevations
on working drawings (ie. new AC10 S/E function)

Recent example attached, which was plotted on my
old sub-standard Hp2500cp...

Also do rendering presentations on glossy paper (A4 mostly).....

Using AC 10 on PC win XP

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Stress Co_
Advisor
Peter:
I don't know about the 500 series, but I had a 130nr.

Now that I'm rid of the Blue Print Machine (I no longer plot on vellum or T-Bond paper), I wish I'd kept it. Primarily to printing color photos. The 110 doesn't compare.

If you don't need copies lighting fast.... it'll do OK.

BTW, The rear automatic roll feed is a must.

Cheers
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for your response marc.
i guess you can use A1 rear roll feed, & when A3 is required just manual feed from the front? is that how it can work?

It seems to be more of a colour graphics type of machine with
2400 x 1200dpi best colour output
(compared to hp500 which has 1200 x 600dpi)

So your photo render printing quality i'm guessing is excellent?

On your 130, how long does it take approx. to print out a b/w a1 print working drawing of acceptible quality?

thanks again

thanks again
Stress Co_
Advisor
Peter:
Click the link on my first post…. I don’t have the HP130 anymore, But the HP110 is similar.
Peter wrote:
i guess you can use A1 rear roll feed, & when A3 is required just manual feed from the front? is that how it can work?
Yes, on the A1 roll feed (I get 24" x 150' rolls). The A3 can load from an internal tray or from the front or, for extra "thick" media, from the rear (there's 2 rear slots… one for the roll, the other for manual feed).
Peter wrote:
It seems to be more of a colour graphics type of machine with 2400 x 1200dpi best colour output
(compared to hp500 which has 1200 x 600dpi)
Yea, Color photos (on the right paper) look like they were developed. The down side is 5 color cart.s (+ black). I never compaired B/W output of the 110 to the 130, but I think the 110 may have the advantage.
Peter wrote:
So your photo render printing quality i'm guessing is excellent?
I'd say so. I sold my 130 to a graphic artist and he’s very pleased.
Peter wrote:
On your 130, how long does it take approx. to print out a b/w a1 print working drawing of acceptible quality?
Again…this is a 110+nr, the attached sample (in PDF Format) printed A1 sheets in about: 1min. 10sec. @ fast quality and 2min. 35 sec. @ normal quality. I use fast for test plots and normal for final…. Saves time and ink. There’s a Best quality too… but I haven’t seen the need as normal is fine.

If you find someone with a HP130, willing to print one of your drawings as a test, I’d be glad to do the same with the HP110.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Jefferson
Participant
I was told by an HP reseller that the 130s were more for "art/photo" work, and that the "blacks" were actually a "mix" of colors, not a true black, so if you do lots of grayscale printing, you end up running through lots more ink as in all of them instead of just the black.

Might be worth checking into..........
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
__archiben
Booster
Jefferson wrote:
I was told by an HP reseller that the 130s were more for "art/photo" work, and that the "blacks" were actually a "mix" of colors, not a true black, so if you do lots of grayscale printing, you end up running through lots more ink as in all of them instead of just the black.
yep. we have a 130nr and the blacks turn out more of a purpley grey. we use it for our own printing and - as you say - presentation work, but we send PDFs out to the local bureau for working drawings . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
You can 'Print' and 'Plot' (via HPGL/2 accessory card) on the HP Designjet 500, and you can only 'Print' to the HP 130.

See Plotting vs. Printing: advantages, disadvantages at:
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/faq_entry_details.asp?id=344

Both of those machines are relatively popular amongst USA ArchiCAD end-users.

j.
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bought the 130 NR and I was very happy with it for the first couple of months.Then it started having problems with the roll feeder and some serious and annoying problems.After looking at the hp forum I ve realised that i wasnt the only one adn i felt so stupid that i havent checked it before buying it.Now its too late and the main issue is that the HP service is in Athens for designjets that is 800 km away and have to pay for it plus that i wont have a plooter for a while!
Learn and get certified!