BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Hard Crash at Page Setup. Apple Silicon v26.

Robert Nichols
Advocate

Is anyone else seeing hard crashes upon selecting the Page Setup menu item on M1 chip? I'm running current v26 on Mac Studio with macOS 13.0.1.

Bug report is submitted. It's nasty! 

Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
30 REPLIES 30

Graphisoft Support helped me figure it out, turned out that I had to create a new user with administrative privileges, now the problem is solved

jkershaw
Enthusiast

This just started happening for me after updating from 13.1 to 13.2. A very nasty bug indeed.

I downloaded the latest driver for our printer, removed the old printer configuration from the OS, re-added it, and that seems to have cleared up the issue.

AC26 APPLE SILICON USA FULL 4032
Mac Studio 2022, Apple M1 Max, 64GB RAM
13.2 macOS Ventura
learning AC since version 4.5
Robert Nichols
Advocate

Well this is not fixed, though I thought it was. Entirely dependent on file. A major problem. My printer, a Brother multi-thing, seems to only be offering an AirPrint driver for the particular machine and M1/Ventura. Don't if that the problem lies there. Grrrrrr.

Melissa F
Contributor

Has anyone found a reliable solution to this problem? I have found one file having the same issues. I've tried copy and pasting content to another new file, updating printer drivers, opening in AC26 and AC25 but cannot get past the page setup crash.

AC25 International
Mac Studio 2022, Apple M1 Ultra, 128GB RAM
13.1 macOS Ventura
AC since version 4.5

Tech support has been working with me on this.  No solution yet, but they did suggest trying opening the file on a different machine.  I've been too lazy.  My work around has been to plot instead of print.  Annoying, but I can get output on a different size if I need to.

Solution
Robert Nichols
Advocate

Hi, Melissa. 

Graphisoft, just a few days ago, provided me with a workaround, which is suitable because I think the problem is just with the print/page settings of a few files. Once the workaround has been applied to the troublesome files, then you should be fine. At least that's how it's gone for me with 3 out of, maybe, 8 files (haven't tackled the others yet).  If you have a reliable list of the files that are giving you trouble, you can take advantage and fixe them in a "wholesale" fashion, saving some time. You need to be moderately fluent in working with the Terminal app. Here is what they sent, and what has worked for me:

Workaround:

1. Find the .plist file for your Archicad version. In a Terminal window execute the following command:

ls -1 ~/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC*.plist
This should result in a list like this:
/Users/jmihalicza/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC 26.0.0 FRA RC1.plist
/Users/jmihalicza/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC 26.0.0 INT v1.plist
/Users/jmihalicza/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC-ARM 26.0.0 USA v1.plist
Every installed Archicad version has a corresponding plist file. Copy the full path corresponding to your Archicad version you experience the issue with.
2. Add the necessary setting to enable print settings discarding with the command below. Make sure the plist file path is replaced with the one identified in step 1:
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 4" "plist-file-from-step-1"
For example:
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 4" "/Users/jmihalicza/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC-ARM 26.0.0 USA v1.plist"
3. Launch Archicad.
4. Open the plan file that crashes AC at Page Setup.
5. Open Page Setup. We believe it should not crash with the above setting.
6. Save plan file.
7. Exit Archicad.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for every plan file that produces the issue.
9. Disable print settings discarding, same as step 2, but the value is 0 instead of 4:
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 0" "plist-file-from-step-1"
For example:
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "set ':PrintPlot:Discard Print Settings' 0" "/Users/jmihalicza/Library/Preferences/com.graphisoft.AC-ARM 26.0.0 USA v1.plist"

Opening file on a new machine didn't help me. But see my response to Melissa below for something that worked, although its a bit of a chore.

AS you say - a bit of a chore - but I will give that a go and report back.

AC25 International
13.1 macOS Ventura
AC since version 4.5
Robert Nichols
Advocate

If you get it figured out, you'll be quite happy to have this problem behind you. I don't spend much time in the Terminal, so it took me a few tries to get it right - mostly because I wasn't super focused on the instructions. Shout if you get hung up.

Melissa F
Contributor

Fantastic! It worked and it was easy to do...when you read the instructions 😜

Thanks very much for your help and support.

AC25 International
13.1 macOS Ventura
AC since version 4.5
Learn and get certified!