BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Hardware Q: 3.7GHz 6-core vs. 2.7GHz 12-Core CUP

ayates
Contributor

Hi,

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Multiprocessing-and-Archicad/ta-p/303631 this article was super helpful in helping me think about an upgrade option. But I have a question for the community: I am considering a processor upgrade on my MacPro. 

* Current: 6-Core 3.5GHz, 12MB Cache

* Potential upgrade: 12-Core 2.7GHz, 30MB Cache

My only concern with this upgrade is that although I am doubling the number of cores in the processor, the speed is roughly 25% slower. Will that offset most of the "gains" I am getting with this upgrade? Although the cache size also more than doubles but I am not that technically savvy to evaluate the differences. 

Rest of my config:

* 2TB SSD

* 32GB to be upgraded to 64GB memory

* AMD FirePro D700 6GB

Follow-up Q: I am considering the OWC Upgrade Service for MacPros which do not offer upgrade of the graphics card. Any recommendations there?

Thanks a million,

AY

1 REPLY 1
mikas
Expert

Maybe consider E5-1680v2. It's an upgrade in both ways.

mikas_0-1641277609598.png

Just bought one and I am preparing to upgrade that myself, though I would not recommend that to others especially ones not familiar with the machine in question. And 128GB RAM and 2TB NVMe with sinTech adapter.

Your GPU is a max one already, you can't do anything but try to use eGPU with a hack, like I do. Both RX 6800XT and Radeon VII in Razer Core X work good enough. Even RedShift recognizes the eGPU and accelerates renders with it.

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Learn and get certified!