BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Hardware Question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I recently built a system for one of my clients and they seem to be having a problem with Rendering more specifily "Memory Full" error.

The System Specs are as Follows

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
2GB DDRII 667
2 x 250GB SATA Hard Drives in Raid 0 (Stripped)
Windows XP Pro
7800GT 256MB Video Card
Archicad v10

All windows updates and The Latest WHQL Drivers are installed. Fresh install of Windows and Archicad have been done.
I have researched the error on the forums this morning and I was thinking about adding another 2GB of memory but am not convinced the $$ is going to solve this problem.

Any Sugestions ?

Dave
7 REPLIES 7
Dwight
Newcomer
Under what situation do they fill their memory?

It should be a simple matter to monitor the RAM use when Archicad renders to see its demand on the system.

But 2 gigamegs RAM is minimum in view of the fact that on my machine (3.5 Gb RAM) I see even middling complex renderings asking for 1.8 Gb RAM.

You might test the RAM demand by reducing the model complexity, especially things like light calculations - make coarser light.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello There,

I am the client that DAVE built the computer for. I get the error messege "Memory Full" when I am switching from 2D to a 3D perspective. It loads all the walls and things but once it gets to phase 11 of 15, the warning messege comes up.

I have 7 buildings on a very very plain siteplan with no lights, only sun. I have not even tried to actually RENDER the image, as I can not even view it in 3d.

Any ideas what it could possibly be?? Dave posted the original messege with the computer specs.

Any help would be great!!

Michelle
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you select half of the Project with a thick Marquee, will that appear in the 3D Window?
The point is: how large the model is actually. It may be too large or complex for the 2 Gigs.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dwight
Newcomer
This indicates corrupted elements. You need to systematically isolate the problem by turning off layers. Probably a window....
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Also, what is the display mode in the 3D window?

For a complx model like this, try OpenGL without any edges, and not the full size of the window.

Try the old Artlantis trick - point the camera to empty space, save as Artlantis, open it in Artlantis and render. BTW, does it generate when you do the "looking into the sky" trick?

I suppose that the interior layers are off?

And so on ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
The actual file size is 16,000 KB, which is why I can not understand why 2 GB of RAM can not handle it. There are no interior walls, only exterior with windows and doors, as well as some stairs.

I am not all that familiar with ArchiCAD, as I have only been using it for a a few weeks.

I will try all the things mentioned here.

Thanks for the Help!!

Michelle
Dwight
Newcomer
The file size as saved bears no relation to the ultimate size of the 3D file.
For instance, you could have a project with 10,000 3D trees in it, but saved as a project file it is one tree called 10,000 times. To render that file, your computer must "build" the model, making vertexes and polygons of the GDL script. This, and the various lighting, transparency and shadow calculations during a render are what makes huge RAM demands on the computer.

But, most of the time, "memory full" is caused by a corrupted element and you need to methodically isolate the element to remove or repair it.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!